PDA

View Full Version : Crappy fall rerun - 60k in 60 days

gonores
08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Nothing too creative here…I’m just doing the same thing Schneids did in May. The concept of playing a zillion hands every day for a two-month stretch is something intriguing to me personally. The motivation for submitting a diary is comes more from the outside…namely some of my online colleagues on this site urging me to offer write-ups. I love to write, but I’m less than comfortable submitting my actual win rates and my day-to-day trials and tribulations. I’d really hate to come off as a braggart, but I have to admit, the pros of keeping a diary definitely outweighed the cons in Schneids’ case, so I’ll give it a shot as well.

Background

I started playing poker in January of 2003. Since then, I have worked my way up to the 10/20 and 15/30 HE limits on Party. I mostly play shorthanded games, and I really enjoy and feel I excel at heads-up play. I graduated from Marquette University with a couple business degrees in May, and I have been playing poker professionally ever since. Initially, I planned on going back to school this fall at UW-Madison, dabbling either in theoretical mathematics or software development, but I’ve since become more compelled to start accumulating capital in order to start my own business in the very near future. There is more to the story, but I guess I need something to write about for future entries, so I’ll save the topic for a particularly boring stretch.

Why I can outperform Schneids

-Schneids had to work in an environment less conducive to poker-saturation. I live with a roommate who has been dabbling in poker for nearly a year now, and he is sympathetic toward my goal.
-I’m in a new town and I don’t know a ton of people yet, so my schedule is less hectic.
-I have a style of play that allows me to play longer hours. This is another topic for the future…suffice to say I don’t think I need to make as many critical decisions as Schneids.
-I have a better idea of what my true win rate is, so I have a better idea of what sort of hours I need.
-I feel the games are slightly easier to beat right now than they were in May – I also get the influx of players brought about by Raymer and the WSOP. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.
-I have technological advantages – I have dual monitor capabilities, a wider PT database, and TiVo
-I am motivated by spiting player haters (another topic for another day).

Why Schneids will run circles around me

-I have a problem with saying “no” to good friends and good times.
-Corollary: I drink a lot
-I have ADD
-I’m quite certain I’m a worse player than Schneids.
-It’s football season, it’s golf season, it’s election season. All three of these are major distractions for me.
-My apartment always has and always will have an open-door policy. People are constantly in and out of my place. The sense of community makes me a happier person, but it won’t make me a better poker player.
-HULA II is starting. As player/captain/commissioner, I am certain a couple of hours per week will need to be dedicated to that.

OK, I promise future journals won’t be so dry. I plan to write one every 2-3 days…not quite sure how the format will develop.

Goals:
Day 1
3200 hands, 10/20 6max (3-4 tables)
Projected earn – 2BB/100 - $1280

Day 2
2800 hands, 10/20 and 15/30 6max (3-4 tables)
Projected earn – 2BB/100 - $1200

Good luck to all. Please do not forget to hate on me.

Doug

MEbenhoe
08-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Good luck Gonores! I'll always root on a fellow WI poker player. Are you planning on incorporating any live games into this goal, or is this going to be all online based? If you are gonna play some live games you should try to make a trip up to Canterbury. I usually get up there once per week/2weeks during the school year and itd be good to see some other 2+2ers on my next trip, just not at my table /images/graemlins/wink.gif

cnfuzzd
08-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I always hate late summer television. Just a bunch of crappy reruns. Why not go all reality television on us and take one shot of tequila every time you get dealt an ace of hearts. Accurate reporting might be difficult though.

Seriously, good luck. My only recommendation would be to follow, tosh i think, and set a number of hands to be played, instead of a dollar amount. ruunning into a 100 BB losing streak in the middle of your quest will be fairly devestating.

peace

john nickle

Inthacup
08-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Why I can outperform Schneids

You forgot the main reason: You're better looking

GL with the challenge gonores!

Cup

chezlaw
08-30-2004, 04:05 PM
best of luck, looking forward to reading about it.

chez

TimM
08-30-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-I’m in a new town and I don’t know a ton of people yet, so my schedule is less hectic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no life.

[ QUOTE ]
-I have a style of play that allows me to play longer hours. This is another topic for the future…suffice to say I don’t think I need to make as many critical decisions as Schneids.

[/ QUOTE ]

You play ABC poker.

[ QUOTE ]
-I have a better idea of what my true win rate is, so I have a better idea of what sort of hours I need.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got lots of hours in because you have no life.

[ QUOTE ]
-I feel the games are slightly easier to beat right now than they were in May – I also get the influx of players brought about by Raymer and the WSOP. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You like to take advantage of easy prey.

[ QUOTE ]
-I have technological advantages – I have dual monitor capabilities, a wider PT database, and TiVo

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a tech geek.

[ QUOTE ]
-I am motivated by spiting player haters (another topic for another day).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just kidding man, good luck! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Maybe someday I'll be doing one of these...

Turkish
08-30-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You play ABC poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonores plays ABC Poker? Hah!! (And it's not even close.)

gonores
08-30-2004, 04:46 PM
the thought of playing every hand online makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I will definitely be spending the occassional weekend at Potowatomi, and I think I get to bug Schneids for a weekend or two and play at the 'Bury.

bosoxfan
08-30-2004, 04:49 PM
The ability to quote caddyshack lines is the reason you will succeed.

gonores
08-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Couldn't agree more with you here. Basically, here is how the challenge is set up. My current win rate is around 2.5-2.6BB/100 (for 10/20 6max). I've scaled that back to an estimated 2BB/100 for the challenge, citing fatigue and a desire to add more tables for the reduction in win rate. At that rate, I'm going to need 150000 hands at 10/20 to reach 60k. So the long-term plan is to play 2500 hands per day, on average. Also, I am adding a multiplier of 1.3 to each hand at 15/30 6max...I have not decided what the multiplier will be for Party full ring games, or my live poker.

I am trying to squeeze in a few extra hands early so I can give myself a day or two off down the road when fatigue sets in. Hence, 6k hands in the first two days.

gonores
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Furthermore, I forgot that my affiliate is going to be riding my ass to get in the hours necessary to fully fund his next trip to Vegas /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nikla
08-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Check your private messages dude. Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

MEbenhoe
08-30-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will definitely be spending the occassional weekend at Potowatomi, and I think I get to bug Schneids for a weekend or two and play at the 'Bury.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go up to Canterbury let me know, and I'll make that a weekend I go up as well. I was actually planning on going up this Sunday, but I just qualified for the 250k sunday stars tourney, so it'll depend now on how long I last in that tourney whether or not I go.

bicyclekick
08-30-2004, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will definitely be spending the occassional weekend at Potowatomi, and I think I get to bug Schneids for a weekend or two and play at the 'Bury.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go up to Canterbury let me know, and I'll make that a weekend I go up as well. I was actually planning on going up this Sunday, but I just qualified for the 250k sunday stars tourney, so it'll depend now on how long I last in that tourney whether or not I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know as well cause i'm away at school too.

Blarg
08-30-2004, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have technological advantages – I have ...TiVo

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, just thought that was funny. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck! I really look forward to good quest posts!

MEbenhoe
08-31-2004, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know as well cause i'm away at school too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a 2+2 weekend at Canterbury for some of us midwestern college guys is in order?

Schneids
08-31-2004, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You = Bet/raise.
Me = Check/call.

[ QUOTE ]
a wider PT database

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome

[ QUOTE ]
TiVo

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf?

[ QUOTE ]
I am motivated by spiting player haters (another topic for another day).

[/ QUOTE ]
Packers suck.

[ QUOTE ]
Why Schneids will run circles around me

-I have a problem with saying “no” to good friends and good times.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto.

[ QUOTE ]
-I’m quite certain I’m a worse player than Schneids.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not worse. Just different. Your default play is to 3-bet, raise, and bet, in that order. My default play is to check, call, and clam up into a fetal position as the action unfolds.

[ QUOTE ]
-HULA II is starting. As player/captain/commissioner, I am certain a couple of hours per week will need to be dedicated to that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Understatement.

P.S. I got a shirt while on vacation that says "Do I look like an ATM?" on it. I cannot wait to wear it to CBury.

P.P.S. I wish you the best of luck. I'll be reading as this unfolds, and definitely contributing to the quest as you seem to usually do well quite against me.

gonores
08-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Welcome back, Schneids

TiVo - On average, there is about 2 hours of simply essential TV I need to watch each day (Sportscenter + ____). With TiVo, I only have to watch approximately 40 minutes per hour of programming. That saves me 40 minutes each day.

[ QUOTE ]
Packers suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks a GB/Minn weekend is the right weekend for my visit. It's one of those things you need to witness in person to truly appreciate the distance between your pathetic drunks and malcontents and Green Bay's He-men.

I cannot believe you did not get me a shirt. You suck. I'm going to look for one online.

turnipmonster
08-31-2004, 09:57 AM
let us know if you find one online.

--turnipmonster

pudley4
08-31-2004, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
let us know if you find one online.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

google.com

10 seconds.

Here (http://www.colorfulimages.com/productDisplay/displaySingleSpread/0,1220,310581%7C1%7C%7Cfull%7CL%7Cabbrvert%7CL%7Cn onext%7C%7Cnonextsec%7C,00.html)

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fsuplayer
08-31-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fsuplayer seems to always raise, what does the rest do?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Your default play is to 3-bet, raise, and bet, in that order.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I was wondering why they think I am too aggressive in the SH forum....I learn from only the best. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

best of luck to ya.

fsuplayer

BusterStacks
08-31-2004, 02:58 PM
Dude you have a TiVo? Sweeeet, i want one badly.

gonores
08-31-2004, 02:59 PM
It's obvious you're not on my level yet, so I'll explain my play to you...slowly. The reason I can call 3 cold with T9s in a spread limit game (where implied odds are lower) is exactly because I know you know that implied odds are lower, which means you will be less likely to put me on a hand like T9s. But you know that I know that, so you will be more likely to put me on a hand like that, but I know you know that I know, so I make an image play like that to lower your evaluation of me. That means when I inevitably flop the nuts, you will go a zillion bets with me, which in turn raises my implied odds.

Duh.

Tell you what...why don't you start discussing poker with me after you get off level 2 and 3 thinking and get up to level 7 where I am at.
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

meep_42
08-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Is that Iocane powder I smell?

-d

ddollevoet
08-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Inconceivable.

TimM
08-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line! /images/graemlins/grin.gif