PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Aces 3 Hands in a Row!

08-19-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm at Lucky Chances in a 9-18 game on Saturday night. I've struggled back from being down half a rack and am now pretty much even. I get pocket Aces 3UTG and open raise. I get a few callers and the flop comes 5,5,A!. I check, next player bets, it's folded around to me and I call. (The lone bettor had previously been seated on my right and tried to bluff me on the River once by saying, "King no good", so I checked, he checked, and my King indeed was good -- Is there lying in poker?) Anyway, I check the turn knowing he will bet which bless him, he does. I think for a moment, look at him and say, "What do you have? I think you're bluffing, so I'm going to raise you!" and he calls. I come out firing on the River, he calls, I flip over the Aces and take down the pot. "Nice hand," he says.

Next hand I get pocket Aces again! Again I raise and it's folded to my nemesis of the last hand who asks, "What do you have?" and I reply, "Oh, I've got pocket Aces again, of course!" and he thinks long and hard completely unsure of what to make of that, but finally folds (damn) and it's then folded all the way around to a complete maniac in LP who raises me. Someone asks, "Why do you raise, everyone folds!" I re-raise and LP calls. I bet out on the next three rounds and am called all the way to the end where I flip over my lovely Aces and drag down the second pot!

Very next hand I get Aces again and start to wonder if the dealer has a thing for me! Mentally, I try to calculate the odds of getting pocket aces three hands in a row, but can't get that far. I wonder if the lottery tickets I bought for the 68+Million payout that night might have hit! To shorten this story a bit, I'll tell you that the button hit trips on the Flop and when the River paired a board card, he took down the pot with a Full House. I turned to him and said, "Normally I don't do this, but I thought you might get a kick out of seeing this," and then flipped over my pocket Aces to show the table my losing hand. Everyone is floored.

Next hand it was back to normal with 9,2 offsuit or something similar, and I folded, saying "Don't have pocket Aces this time guys, so guess I'll fold and let you fight over the pot!"

Just thought I'd share this with you. It's kind of funny, because right before I had this run I remember thinking, "Damn, I haven't gotten pocket Aces in a while!" Sadly, no I didn't win the lottery but nobody else did either, so it's over 70 million for Wednesday! Think I'll buy a ticket!

Good luck to you all!

Shawn

08-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Your comments at the table are giving away significant information.

Hand #1: I think for a moment, look at him and say, "What do you have? I think you're bluffing, so I'm going to raise you!"

When a player does this, it is very obvious that he wants his opponent to call the raise. Therefore, he has a very strong hand.

Hand #2: ...and I reply, "Oh, I've got pocket Aces again, of course!"

I assume this comment was made either sarcastically or jokingly. If so, it's just another attempt to induce a call- which, of course, is exactly what you want.

Opponents who pay attention to this should be able to save/win many bets from you.

08-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Dynasty,

Of course, to a certain extent you are right. Normally I just shut my trap and play. The fact that there were a couple of maniacs in the game and just the shear inprobability of getting Aces three times in a row skewed and them trying to figure out what I had made it a fun time (winning helped)

Take it easy.