PDA

View Full Version : Good Play, Good Luck, and will it be short lived?

Guernica4000
08-30-2004, 11:24 AM
I have a question for the room:

Lately I have been playing on the $20 single table tournaments with the following strategy. "Tight and very aggressive". I play very few hands but bet big when I have two great starting cards.
I realize that this wouldn’t work in a live game nor would it work with good players but I noticed that at this level I can fold 20 hands in a row and still get a call from one or two players to an all in bet regardless of position when I bet.

So my question is:
Does this play work in the long run or have I just been getting lucky?

With this play I was ITM 7 out of 10 SnG tournaments this weekend only losing to 2 Bad beats and one better hand when I moved all-in (QQ vs. KK).

I look forward to any advice.

Thanks,

Guernica4000
08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Did I post this in the wrong forum? Any advice out there?

Marcotte
08-30-2004, 07:26 PM
I’ve been playing $10+1’s on Poker Room almost exclusively (a few $20’s here and there), but I think that for the most part the quality of players at those two levels is roughly equal. The tight aggressive strategy has worked well for me so far (only logged ~30-35 sngs). I think the key is to know when to change gears. Once it gets down to 5 players, I start to loosen up my standards, and when I get down to less than 10bb, I start to go into push/fold mode.

Keep in mind though that you will not maintain a 70% ITM. While I (and others here) think this is the best strategy, even the best players who have posted their stats don’t approach that level. Of course, most of them play at higher buy-ins, but even Lori said that over 2 years she had an ITM of 50-55% at $10+1 (iirc).

Also, because there are so many mediocre and bad players at these levels, your variance will probably be higher than normal. Luckily, it looks like you started with an upswing. My advice is to play another 90 sngs and look at your stats after that. 10 sngs is way too small a sample to make any meaningful conclusions.

So the short answer is: it is just Good Luck, but it is promising. In all likelihood, you will not do so well in the future, but if you continue to read 2+2 and post particular hands that trouble you, you will be hard pressed not to improve. I know I have (and many thanks to everyone here for that too, by the way! /images/graemlins/grin.gif)