PDA

View Full Version : River decision

bakku
08-30-2004, 07:37 AM
3/6 Party
Average table, slightly looser than usual
LMP is loose PF but is pretty good postflop

CDC open raises from MP1, LMP calls, CO calls, I call on the button with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, blinds fold.

Flop is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

CDC bets, LMP raises, CO folds, I 3-bet, CDC folds, LMP calls.

Turn is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

LMP checks, I bet, LMP c/r, I 3-bet, LMP calls.

River is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif (J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

LMP bets, my action?

nepenthe
08-30-2004, 07:56 AM
You really hate to get 3-bet here. I'd call. You'd be lucky if he was drawing to a lower flush or flopped a lower flush, and the actions may very well dictate a QJ.

spamuell
08-30-2004, 08:21 AM
This is probably partly because nepenthe says to call, but I think you should raise this river. Really the only hand that beats you here which he might have is is QJ. Given his pre-flop looseness, there are lots of other jacks he could have. I raise and call a 3-bet.

sublime
08-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Raise and call a 3bet

K /images/graemlins/heart.gif/J /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif anybody?

EDIT:
I am re-thinking what I posted, What leads me to think KJ is the turn c/r *after* you 3-bet a monotone flop. Its not a smaller flush as I doubt he would bet into you on the river(which points towards QJ, but he didnt have the Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif so how comfortable can he be c/r the turn?)

A set would cap the turn and lead the river as its pretty obvious you are not folding.

Against a tough opponent I would say just call, but I dont give most players that much respect.

sfer
08-30-2004, 02:54 PM
You said he plays well postflop. I think this is 50/50 between raise/call a 3-bet and just calling. The problem is that turn checkraise and figuring out if he flat-called your 3-bet to get an extra bets on the river or not. That's a pretty sweet move on his part if he did, but I'm inclined to think he's not that slick so I've convinced myself to raise and call a 3-bet.

bakku
08-30-2004, 05:00 PM
This river frustrated me, I wasn't sure what to do. I'd hate to get 3-bet here but I'd also hate to just call with the best hand. Since my opponent is decent postflop I put him on either QJ or KJ with the K of hearts. The question, however, is what does my opponent put ME on? I 3-bet the flop and 3-bet a c/r on the turn, yet he still bets into me on the river. It's possible he's getting a bit frisky with the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, but this river bet is just screaming "please raise me!" And since I can't analyze things that quickly in the middle of a hand, I did. I raised, He 3-bet, I called, he showed me Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif and took down the pot.

sfer
08-30-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised he checkraised the turn with QJ.

bakku
08-30-2004, 05:04 PM

I kinda had a slightly LAG image, but I was surprised too.

sublime
08-30-2004, 05:05 PM

Same here.

I still like the river raise.

cnfuzzd
08-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Interesting. If CDC is up to his usual antics, and LMP might have raised the flop to isolate, i would call. Other than that, i cant see someone who plays well post flop raising the flop with QJ. I would raise. That having been said, i am addicted to raising the river.

peace

john nickle