PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a bad beat

Mark S
08-30-2004, 06:30 AM
The term "bad beat" and its synonyms are thrown around so often, yet it seems that we really have no common reference point on what that term means. So I was hoping that we could really define this term.

I propose the following definition:
You experience a "bad beat" when x % of your money goes into the pot when you have a y % of ending up with the best hand, but still lose at the showdown. (X and Y are just variables, I'm not sure what their real values might be)
So here are a couple examples to help clarify:
NL, $100 max buy in (and let's say that's what everyone has): You hold AA UTG and limp in, planning to reraise. To your disappointment, there is no raise, and the flop comes d own K 4 2, no suit. You bet $15, are reraised all in, and call. Your opponent shows pocket kings, having flopped a set. By my definition, is this a bad beat? No. All your money went in when you were a huge underdog.

Same situation, except this time you move all in UTG, and are called by KK. When he hits the set, that is a bad beat...again, because all your money went in when you were a huge favorite.

Does anyone have any revisions for this definition? I suppose it could be revised to also include your opponent's pot odds, such that even though most of your money went in when you had the best hand (say top set on a two tone flop) and your opponent hits his flush, are you really 'outdrawn?'

Anyways any revisions to this hand, and maybe someone suggesting real numbers for the x and y variables, would be appreciated.

All the best,

Mark S.

benfranklin
08-30-2004, 02:45 PM
A "beat" is when a prohibitive underdog sucks out and cracks a much better hand. A "bad beat" is when it happens to you.

balkii
08-30-2004, 02:53 PM
you've got another thing coming to you if you think a bad beat is losing as a 4:1 favorite against an opponent who played his hand correctly

Playaz
08-30-2004, 03:13 PM
example:

i watched this hand happen to my friend a few days ago (7 card stud)

my friend made quad aces on 5th street with one opponent... the entire hand from the start (he had trips right off the bat) was raising-rerasing-capping. it turns out his opponent had absolutely nothing but a straight flush draw the entire time. he caught the straight flush on 7th street to beat the quad aces

Officer Farva
08-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Definition of a lame post

dogmeat
08-30-2004, 03:59 PM
For most poker players a bad beat is any time they think they are going to win, and don't.

Stop perpetuating this idea in your own playing by understanding that you WILL lose at some times. When you do, your hand is simply beaten by a better hand. For you to have lost, the other hand must be better. It is a seven card game and the other hand was best at the showdown.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Cashcow
08-30-2004, 05:28 PM
How about this?
$100 buy in NL holdem tourney
You are CO, Villian is BB
1st hand you are dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
You raise 4xBB(t100), get called by BB only
Flop comes 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifj /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets pot(~200), you raise same, he calls
(Pot is ~t1000)
Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB gos all in, you call
BB Shows 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
River is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

is this a bad beat?
Never happened to me exactly this way, but pretty close.
You have the nut flush on the flop and the turn, he draws his miracle 1 outer on the river.
I would say when you have the nuts on the turn, and get outdrawn on the river by a one outer, that is a bad beat.

Nick_Foxx
08-30-2004, 05:34 PM
amen... im sick of this bad beat BS theres no such thing... hold'em is a 7-card game, who gives a [censored] if you were leading after the 5th or 6th card? if the guy is in the hand and he pays to see em, he deserves to get all 7 cards

mike