PDA

View Full Version : Party $25NL, JJ

Mark S
08-30-2004, 06:20 AM
Hey fellas,
I'm looking for some comments on a hand I played this evening, Party Poker: no limit HE, $25 max.
I was UTG with about $23 with JJ. I made it $4 to go, and everyone folded to the cutoff seat, who called. The button and blinds both folded.

So, here I am, heads up with two jacks, about $10 in the pot. I have $19 left in front of me, the other guy has about $50 left. Here we go:

The flop comes down 10 4 2, no suit. Looks favorable, I bet the pot, $10. I put him on suited big cards, possibly AK offsuit. He raises me all in.

At this point, I am a bit confused, but I think that he might be value-betting a big ace, figuring an AK or AQ is good, and that I'll lay down my hand after the raise.

So...what to do? I have an overpair, which I generally like. Can I get away from this hand? Was he trapping with a bigger pair? Well, I called and he showed me T T, having flopped a set. No jacks came, and I lost.

Any feedback? Should I have raised more preflop, perhaps considered folding the flop? It seems like a difficult hand to get away from.

Allright thanks fellas, all the best.

Mark S

nrinker
08-30-2004, 06:53 AM
I dont know a whole lot, but I just play jacks strictly for set value, try and get in as cheap as possible, etc. Just so I can avoid losing big pots with them. But of course im going to bet them if the table is tight. But for the most part im looking for that set. So i can be sure of what is going on post flop.

Daann
08-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Once you had committed yourself with the flop bet, there was no way that you could fold. As its party, he could have been raising AT or something worse for value. Anyway, he made a bad preflop call if he was playing for the set, so don't worry about it.

One point is the size of the preflop raise, it seems a little large, but it doesn't really matter if you are still getting action.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-30-2004, 06:59 AM
with such a short stack and the typical dumbness of party players, I would think you'd have to call your overpair here.