PDA

View Full Version : Headsup At The End Strategies

RPatterson
08-30-2004, 04:16 AM
I normaly like to always raise or fold when headsup at the end of a tournament but this last one I just played I did a limp every single hand approach.

Have you guys tried this?

The reason was because our stacks were still small in relation to the blinds, and my remaining opponent was a very poor playing calling station that had gotten lucky throughout the tournament to wind up there.

I decided to keep the pots as small as possible and mainly check the flop and turn and try to bluff my opponent on the river or get them to call with an inferior hand. Basically slowly grind them down with this outwitting them on the river tactic while in the meantime waiting for them to make a big slip up since they are a bad player afterall.

To me not raising pre-flop makes every hand less significant so if they go on some kind of 5 hand outflop you spree it isn't that much of a big deal. It just seemed like it would be hard to lose headsup with a player like that when we have deep stacks and I can basically wait for them to make an inferior made hand that they can't get away from.

I have the impression that guys like Daniel Negreanu use this tactic headsup because they feel they can outplay everyone on the flop and there is no use in throwing in more chips pre-flop.

Thoughts?

Deelah
08-30-2004, 10:17 AM
I use this tactic sometimes too and I find it good. Just shove in your money preflop all the time makes the heads-up a coinflip. But as you say it requires two things - deep stacks in relation to the blinds and a poor player at the other side of the table..

Tharpab
08-30-2004, 10:38 AM
I also looking for learning more about NL headsup, is there a poster on this forum with advice on it?The limit hu is a different world I think.

hockey1
08-30-2004, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my remaining opponent was a very poor playing calling station

[/ QUOTE ]

The proper tactic should be obvious from this description of the opponent. Specifically, if you are a better post-flop player than your opponent, then don't push marginal advantages preflop. But, since your opponent is a calling station, if you have what you consider to be more than a marginal advantage (e.g., a decent ace or medium pocket pair or better) then raise.