PDA

View Full Version : Over the pond

1800GAMBLER
08-30-2004, 01:57 AM
Sometimes i wonder about trying out a year of living over there then i think of all the music i'd miss out on. So for people over the pond here's the best of brit music that you probably aren't getting enough of. All these bands are very brit indie so if you hate that stop now.

The Doves. You probably have heard of them, yea, whatever, You haven't listened to Lost Souls albums enough though. Utterly amazing. One of the very few albums you put on for the first track and don't skip. The first 3 seconds are a perfect insight to this album and you probably could judge it from that and very brit.

The Libertines. You probably didn't get their first album, but their main track was featured on American Pie the Wedding even though it's very distant from the genre of music on their soundtrack. Anyhow, they have a second album coming out, leaked, but you should get the first one before hand.

The Thrills. Neil Young fans. Beatles fans, etc. Will like this. An irish band who made the album while travelling the west coast of america. thethrills.com has their released videos, the best ones being Don't Steal Our Sun and One House Town.

Razorlight. Very new. Very brit. Just signed up to sony, should be big soon. Very jam - who like. Love or hate CD.

I'm sure other people will plug in The Killers, Franz and Keane, yea they are good, just not as good as above.

So at the moment we are sending over coldplay, darkness and sending you back the strokes (english record label) but these bands are the ones who aren't making it over there yet.

Enjoy and share any other bands you think are underrated.

daryn
08-30-2004, 01:59 AM
come to umass! i can guarantee soft games 'round the clock.

soft = bruiser is there

1800GAMBLER
08-30-2004, 02:07 AM
See above /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyhow. I think it's happening. The only real possible way for me to get a year long visa to america is education so i'll come over for my 3rd year. While on that i'll just travel around. Anyhow, that will be at least two years ago so we can still take bruiser out to lose his virginity.

daveymck
08-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Its interesting that UK music is going to a back to guitar music phase, I have no idea whats going on in the charts but flicking through the music channels MTV has a lot of guitar music sort of 60's and 70's throwbacks generally with a The in the name.

I am into metal so dont follow indie stuff although I have a few bits and pieces in my collection by Teenage Fanclub and a few others.

I quite like what I have heared by The Walkmen and I was under the impression that the libertines were finished as their singer is on selfdestruct.

I dont really see any of the bands you mentioned making it in the US even though some of it is stuff that would go well on college and commercial rock radio out there.

As for the british metal scene its pretty stagnant from a UK band point of view, the US Nu Metal scence is on the way and Evernesceance have opened a door to a lot of good euro bands who have been playing that sort of music for years as well as a few black metal bands getting pushed a lot over there Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir in particuler, but female fronted Nightwish and Lacuna coil are trying to piggy back onto Evenesceances success.

Lost Prophets are a UK band that have a US sound and may get some exposure over there.

Simon Diamond
08-30-2004, 11:48 AM
The Doves. You probably have heard of them, yea, whatever, You haven't listened to Lost Souls albums enough though. Utterly amazing. One of the very few albums you put on for the first track and don't skip. The first 3 seconds are a perfect insight to this album and you probably could judge it from that and very brit.

I saw them support Oasis at Wembley Stadium and for me they stole the show. Me thinks I will dig that album out and have a listen right now.

Simon

nicky g
08-31-2004, 05:11 AM
"The Killers"
The Killers are great. They're also American though.

sfer
08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
These bands are well known in the States by people who are into such things. The Thrills, The Libertines, and The Doves sell out quickly in good sized clubs in NYC. They are championed here. (http://www.kcrw.org)