PDA

View Full Version : Re-raises on your steals

ismisus
08-30-2004, 01:54 AM
What do you do when everytime you raise, you get re-raised. I mean you don't get AA, KK, QQ that often to keep up with the ever-increasing blinds. Raises used to be respected, today it has become "whoever goes all in first wins". I would just like to hear some thoughts on your "stealing ideology".

On a related note, is it me, or have party poker tourneys become a lot more aggressive? Whenever I get AA or KK, I always double up (or go broke). Do cards play more meaning, than they used to?

z32fanatic
08-30-2004, 02:08 AM
The lower the buyin, the more the cards matter IMO. In something like the WCOOP main event, raises/reraises were getting a lot of respect. It is becoming much harder to steal blinds I think, because of the looser play in general.

ismisus
08-30-2004, 02:16 AM
my experience has been the exact opposite! Especially in the end. In the 200/100/50 tourneys I am much more likely to get re-raised, than in 20/30 tourneys where people are much more tighter in the end.

JARID
08-30-2004, 02:20 AM
If you are continually attempting to steal and people are coming over the top of you all the time, I think you need to draw a line in the sand at some point, don't you?
You might have to come back over the top with a less than ideal holding, or call and try to hit your flop. It's interesting you bring this up. I have been experimenting with re-raising people I suspect of being on steals. Not a bunch, just enough to put a seed of doubt about taking the standard shot at my blind.

-Jarid

RPatterson
08-30-2004, 04:33 AM
It doesn't really bother me when people don't respect steals. Don't raise trash, and they will call your better hands with probably inferior ones. Just work with how they want to play. You can't force anyone to fold, but you can wait until you don't want them to fold anymore.

patrick dicaprio
08-30-2004, 09:01 AM
i faced this situation just this weekend. what i did is if i had a hand that was better than 55% against the any pair any ace group of hands i would reraise all in. all you need to do is get this to work once or twice and usually it will stop.

Pat

Big O
08-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Steal when you can do it often, if you are getting re-raised, u have to stop the steal, to improve your table image

betgo
08-30-2004, 03:27 PM
If people are reraising you, don't steal. Wait till you have a hand you want to be reraised.

In a rebuy tournament, I usually don't try to pick up blinds for an hour after the rebuy tournament is over.

When it gets close to the money or close to the final table is usually a good time for steal raises.

If you are not getting action on your raises, try some looser ones. If you are getting reraised, tighten up.

davidross
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
I think you're just going through a run of cards where you keep getting big hands on your left. I played a Party tournament Saturday where I raised 12 times without getting called once, let alone re-raised.

I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised. If the same guy keeps doing it you need to decide what kind of hand you will make a stand with.

I know I have felt exactly the same as you several times, and usually it leads to me making a bad decision. I raise with AJ 2 off the button, get re-raised by the button for the 4th time, and push all-in only to find AK against me.

ThingDo
08-30-2004, 04:14 PM
"I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised" I believe that this is some of the best advice you can get here. Allthough this may seem "obvious" to some of the players here I think that A LOT if not most players don't consider actions based upon their actions far too often. I know david said it already but I'll say it again "I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised" really consider this advice

ismisus
08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
This advice is true
"I think you should decide before you raise what you will do if re-raised"

However, it also depends on the player who re-raises you and how much is the re-raise for.

When a marginal holding such as AJ gets re-raised for the 5th time in a row, its not pleasant going from 3000T to 1500T without even seeing a hand.

Do you think limping with AJ, medium pockets are a good idea in such an aggressive table? I mean if someone raises you, you won't lose as much as you would lose if raised 3X the blind.

ThingDo
08-30-2004, 05:15 PM
"When a marginal holding such as AJ gets re-raised for the 5th time in a row, its not pleasant going from 3000T to 1500T without even seeing a hand.

Something is wrong here. I may just be confused, but if you are saying that if you start w/ T3000 and end up w/ T1500 then you are raising %50 of your stack. This can't possibly be correct. If you are raising %50 of your stack you should be moving in.

"Do you think limping with AJ, medium pockets are a good idea in such an aggressive table? I mean if someone raises you, you won't lose as much as you would lose if raised 3X the blind."

This is really situational dependent, but generally limping w/ AJ and mid PP's at an agressive table is a mistake.

gergery
08-30-2004, 07:34 PM
You also need to calibrate with your table image. If people have seen you raise then fold a bunch, they may be more likely to see you as a folder and resteal more often.

I’ve found the solutions are:1) tighten up some and wait for big hands, which should get paid off on loose/aggressive tables like this, or 2) pick a good spot and resteal yourself (ie. raise 4 limpers allin with KTs with 18xBB)

davidross
08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
I think 5 straight raises being re-raised would be too much for me. I would either fold pre-flop or come back over the top if it was the same guy every time.

I wouldn't limp first in with AJ ever, I'd rather fold it, but I can see limping with a pair. SO much depends on what you think of the other players. If you have raise/folded twice for example, a raise/all-in will make the other guy stop and think.

Ian J
08-30-2004, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my experience has been the exact opposite! Especially in the end. In the 200/100/50 tourneys I am much more likely to get re-raised, than in 20/30 tourneys where people are much more tighter in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because more of the people in the 50-200 tourneys are playing correctly (re-stealing) and the ones in the 20s and 30s are playing scared and trying to play well by playing overly tight. The 50-200s are generally going to be more aggressive because it's a higher level of play.

joedot
08-31-2004, 01:55 AM
bull. just because the buy in is higher doesn't mean the players are better when it gets to the final table. One thing I have learned over the years, higher limit games are filled with bad players that are rich, just like low limit games are filled with bad players that are poor. Doesn't mean jack. I'm sure that many of the final table players in a 20/30 buy in are equally skilled as final tablers in a 100/200 buy in.