PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review - Hero

Ulysses
08-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Visually stunning. Decent fighting. The plot starts off with great pacing but then gets bogged down a little. A lot of reading. Perhaps too much. Reading the subtitles is pretty important to the plot line (there's a lot of stuff to be explained) and sometimes it keeps you from fully appreciating the visuals. Anyway, see this one on the big screen.

citanul
08-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Don't sit up close.
I showed up a little late opening night, we had to sit in the front row. The subtitles were long enough and cumbersome enough that even whipping our heads back and forth we often couldn't get through them before they flashed by.
Was good enough to go see again though I think, this time from better seats.

I too thought that the subtitles were incredibly necessary to catch basically all of them, and that the pace did bog down a bit in the latter 1/3 or so.

Decent action, decent story, mediocre pacing.

Clarkmeister
08-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Who cares. Did you read Skin City yet?

Zeno
08-30-2004, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading the subtitles is pretty important to the plot line (there's a lot of stuff to be explained)....

[/ QUOTE ]

They should hand out a syllabus before you go in. I saw ads for this and was thinking of seeing it but wanted to know it was hokey or not. On your say so, I will definitively go.

And what the hell are you doing at the movies - you are supposed to be reading The Naked Olympics (and Skin City) and posting a review(s). You are such a slacker, El.

Your moniker should be: General Sloth. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

Ulysses
08-30-2004, 03:25 AM
I read The Naked Olympics this weekend. Very interesting, very good. I'll track down that Skin City ASAP.

astroglide
08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
if it's fair to draw a comparison, i thought crouching tiger hidden dragon was much better. the difference is in the pacing, but more importantly the concern for the characters. the leaf fight was top notch though.

M2d
08-30-2004, 11:58 AM
I liked both films, but I enjoyed Hero more. I thought the lack of distinct hero/villan roles made it much more intriguing.

as with everyone else, I thought the visual effects were stunning, and that the subtitiles made it tough to watch. However, I think the story would have lost a lot if it were dubbed. The subtitles were a necessary evil, imo.

astroglide
08-30-2004, 12:01 PM
i don't think subtitles affect me one way or the other, bad dubbing does

M2d
08-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Agreed with the bad dubbing. The problem with the subtitles was how quickly the passed on the screen sometimes. As a new TiVo user, I found myself reaching for the remote (only to realize I was in a theater) from time to time.

mikech
08-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Not many Americans would care like I did, but this movie left me with a bitter taste. To me, it was an apology for imperialism. The First Emperor was an infamous tyrant, and for this film to make him out to be a "hero" seriously ticked me off. Yes, he lived 2,000 years ago, but imagine someone 2,000 years in the future making a movie that portrays Stalin or Mao as a hero and you'll have a good analogy. No wonder why the Chinese Communist government, after years of censoring the director Zhang Yimou, was delighted by this film, and even submitted it as China's entry in the Oscars for best foreign film of 2002.

Zeno
08-30-2004, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read The Naked Olympics this weekend. Very interesting, very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pithy review but acceptable. Thank You.

I now know it will be worth buying.

-Zeno