PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 and 5/10 6 max questions

DavidLemon
08-29-2004, 11:58 PM
For a while, I've been flirting with the idea of moving from full tables to primarily 6 max tables on Empire (1/2 and soon 5/10)...i saw there was a shorthanded thread but it doesnt seem to be specifically for low limit. Is there good discussion on this topic? I'm brand new to 2+2, and have almost no experience with 6 max - i just hear that the games are more profitable than full table games if you play correctly. Does anyone have the experience to back this up? And can you lead me in the right direction about where to start?

scotnt73
08-30-2004, 08:49 AM
we have some very good shorthanded posters in the short handed and heads up forum. and it does pertain to small stakes as well. post this there. when i first started playing 6 max tables the info i got there was amazing.

welcome th the boards.

ProfLupin
08-30-2004, 09:48 AM
1. You play more hands per hour short-handed so your hourly win rate will improve (providing you are a winning player and you make the correct strategic adjustments to short-handed play which is harder than you think).

2. Your variance will also increase, so be prepared for some serious swings in your bankroll. You WILL go on a 100 or more BB downswing if you play enough hands short-handed. It's only a matter of when. Make sure you have at least 300BB.

3. Don't jump straight from 1/2 empire to 5/10. Find other sites with 2/4 and 3/6 short-handed games.

I paint this somewhat bleak picture because the switch is harder than most people think. I feel like my poker game and earnings have improved since I made the switch to short-handed. But I lost for a few weeks while I was learning the new correct play. And I've had some serious bankroll swings. So go ahead and try it out, but be serious about learning the game. It's quite different from full ring play.