PDA

View Full Version : A good read and a bad read. Results to come.

NNH
08-29-2004, 11:15 PM
$10+1 SNG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

BB (t1655)
UTG (t835)
MP1 (t425)
MP2 (t1160)
CO (t1200)
Button (t1980)
Hero (t745)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t30, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, BB calls t70, CO calls t70.

Flop: (t300) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets t150</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t645 (All-In)</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1140</font>, CO calls t950 (All-In).

Turn: (t3185) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t3185) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3185

Ok, here's my thought on the flop play. CO has pretty much raised any unraised pot most of the tourney. I was expecting him to bet w/ any part of flop. After his bet I went all in hoping to take the pot right there, and if I got a call from CO, I figured I would be ahead.

I didn't have a good read on BB. He's been playing tight so far. Won a few small pots and then doubled up w/ a straight flush. He called my wimpy PF bet. He could have anything here right. Can anybody put him on a hand?

ThingDo
08-30-2004, 12:22 AM
First of all I dont think your raise is wimpy. I like it in fact. I think the BB if being a solid TAG player might just call in the BB closing the action w/ Q's so he can see it cheap and if he doesn't like it he can move on. That being said I would just bet this flop most of the time. If you check and its checked around you just gave one of the two draws on the flop a free card.

david050173
08-30-2004, 12:37 AM
Before the flop, I don't think you can really reduce it to anything besides it is likely they have playable hands. With 2 all in calls, I would expect to see some combination of aces, AQ, trips, 2 pair (QJ), or straight/flush draws (AT, AK). If the BB was on a draw, I wouldn't expect him to try and force the other player out of the pot so I would go with tptk,2 pair, or aces. I could see the CO having any of the above hands. Calling all in with draws and top pair top kicker is a poor move in general (early in the game)but a lot of people will make that move.

lastchance
08-30-2004, 01:55 AM
Once BB reraises you after limping in and checking, assuming he's good, you're in big trouble, but I can't pin him on the exact hand he should have. I think he turns over AA or QJs and takes your chips, that or he has AQ/KQ. Obviously, you can't know he's calling before hand, and so, you can't exactly not push here.

CO probably has a flush draw or OESD, something of that nature. Could have TPTK or better, but I doubt it, because you're more likely to call with two in with a good flush draw or OESD vs TPTK. And an underbet that isn't exactly pricing draws out seems to me like a value bet.

I like your play, preflop and on the flop, but you probably ran into something you didn't want run into.

patrick dicaprio
08-30-2004, 08:31 AM
this is a good play usually at the $10 games. i dont see how you could play this any differently. note that you act before the BB so you cant fault yourself here for anything. he had AA i presume? the real issue is what you would have done if you acted after him.

Pat

NNH
08-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the replies.

BB had QJo. CO had QTo

ThingDo. I still think a little more PF wouldn't have hurt. Maybe 150-175. That would've knocked out BB, and I probably still would've gotten action from CO. This could be some post-rationalizing though.

Last, I really wasn't worried about an underbet here. He had been making the same play the whole night w/ trash. Still a valid point, even LAG's get good cards.

Pat, let's see if I can give you an answer to your scenario. Hero is now BB and BB is now SB. That means SB limped and then called my raise. I would be a little cautious of SB here. CO probably still calls. If I get raised all in here by SB, I really don't feel good. I'm getting 4.5-1 odds, and I'd be left w/ 345 if I fold. I'd be pretty sure I was beat, but not positive. He might have AQs. I'd have a hard time laying this one down. Hmmm. I have a long way to go. Thoughts?

ChuckNorris
08-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Assuming your read on CO was good, it was well played. Otherwise I wouldn't give any chances for a free card on such a flop, I'd bet slightly over the pot on this flop, and fold to a raise.

I would never call an all-in so early with so many draws, possible two pair or set and a possible second caller.

ThingDo
08-30-2004, 06:18 PM
If he bets slightly over the pot on the flop and then folds to a raise he is making a terrible mistake

patrick dicaprio
08-30-2004, 10:21 PM
as to my hypothetical with two all ins i think this is an easy laydown. it is just unlikely that you will get two players all in with hands you beat, as a general rule and against non tricky players.while you beat AQ there are almost no other hands that you will beat in this scenario.

Pat

ChuckNorris
09-01-2004, 05:55 AM
You are right. I wasn't paying enough attention to the stack size. The correct play would be to go all-in on the flop.