PDA

View Full Version : Weak-Tight or Correct?

toby
08-29-2004, 10:51 PM
I was betting my OESD and when he led into me, it seemed like he hit his straight draw. In retrospect he probably would have check-raised, so how was my river fold?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

Entity
08-29-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it. Fold this preflop.

On the river, the pot is small. Your fold is fine. I don't see why you bet the turn either, unless you thought he might fold. There's no value in betting your OESD on the turn against one opponent.

Rob

Nottom
08-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Preflop limp is fine.
Take the free turn card unless the BB is one of those call the flop with any two and fold the turn players (which aren't too uncommon).
River fold is fine.

Entity
08-29-2004, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop limp is fine.
Take the free turn card unless the BB is one of those call the flop with any two and fold the turn players (which aren't too uncommon).
River fold is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Limping Axs with no callers in MP1 is ok? Seems too loose to me, unless you (for whatever reason) expect 3+ others to join you.

Rob

MarkL444
08-29-2004, 11:22 PM
You have to slow down on the turn. This is a pretty weak draw, the bottom part of an open-ender. A queen might end up screwing you more than it helps. You might still be ahead on the turn, but if you arent you are getting no value on your draw against one opponent. This pot sucks, winning it is not that important.

MarkL444
08-29-2004, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Limping Axs with no callers in MP1 is ok? Seems too loose to me, unless you (for whatever reason) expect 3+ others to join you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you need 3 more callers. Id be happy with another caller and both blinds. In the lower limits you can sacrifice getting a huge multiway pot by knowing that when you do make your hand you will get paid off.

Entity
08-29-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you need 3 more callers. Id be happy with another caller and both blinds. In the lower limits you can sacrifice getting a huge multiway pot by knowing that when you do make your hand you will get paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]Generally with Axs I prefer large multiway pots than small pots like this one. I don't ever like being the first limper in anything other than a UTG position.

Rob

Nottom
08-29-2004, 11:29 PM
well personally i'd raise it, but i'm certainly not folding it.

Entity
08-29-2004, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well personally i'd raise it, but i'm certainly not folding it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising A8s in that position seems fine to me. I definitely prefer it to limping. I'm really just not a fan of open-limping anything in MP1.

Rob

Entity
08-29-2004, 11:32 PM
I guess we could say that preflop is marginal, given the debate so far. I like the flop bet, but I only like the turn bet when you have a solid read that BB is weak-tight and ready to fold.

Rob

Nottom
08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
I think MP1 is still early enough that you can limp with some hands at a typical micro-table and expect a couple callers + the blinds with a hand that doesn't mind a few players. Make it MP3 and you def need to raise if you are playing.

toby
08-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Hero folded, Villain showed 77 for the straight.

Sarge85
08-30-2004, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ unless you (for whatever reason) expect 3+ others to join you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I'd expect.

That being said - I don't like betting the flop here. Your betting the ass end of the straight.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif