PDA

View Full Version : what the hell am i thinking with this call?

PITTM
08-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Once he made a big raise i pushed him all in, i knew in my head what he had but i called anyways, how terrible of a time to push him all in is this? It was a pretty horrid play the whole way, almost too embaressed to post it.

rj

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

MP ($27.55)
Button ($22.50)
SB ($25)
BB ($27.70)
Hero ($65.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($5) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($9) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $15</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $27</font>, BB calls $9.70 (All-In).

River: ($60.70) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $60.70
<font color="green">Main Pot: $58.40, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB ($58.40).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $2.30, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows As Tc (straight, ace high).
Hero shows Js Ks (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: BB wins $58.40. Hero wins $2.30. </font>

NoTalent
08-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Can you really put him on AT? Did you have enough of a read on him?

PITTM
08-29-2004, 08:50 PM
i had been sitting at a table with him for about an hour, he was a decent player and i didnt see what else he would go all in with, AK maybe? was the only thing i thought he would have that i beat. and with the A on the river i would have lose anyways, i put myself in a bit of a bind.

rj

NoTalent
08-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Well if you had enough of a read on him that you can put him on a hand better than yours--by all means fold!

Sponger15SB
08-29-2004, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what the hell am i thinking with this call?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Turn: ($9) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $15</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $27</font>, BB calls $9.70 (All-In).

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

jslag
08-29-2004, 11:33 PM
I would have raised a lot more on the flop. When he bets out $0.50, you should have raised him to at least $5 (pot). With your stack so large, he's getting implied odds on his call and you certainly appear like you are going to pay him off when he hits his A or straight. Make that raise larger and he probably folds unless he's a maniac/fish -- or unless he has you beat already.

Playing it like you did, you should have slowed down when he raised you on the turn. I would have bet more on the turn and folded to a strong raise. You're behind to KK, QQ, 88, JJ, KQ, T9, and AT -- and on the river you're losing to sooo many hands it's easy to get away from.

Don't "push and hope". Use strong edges to your advantage and SLOW DOWN when you are raised in that spot. Few players at this level are strong enough to try a semi-bluff raise of $15 right there -- you're almost always behind unless you have a read that tells you otherwise.