PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Talk: Ichiro and Hit record - Yanks/Red Sox

Zeno
08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
George Sisler in 1920 - 257 hits

Ichiro at end of today - 209 hits. Seattle has 32 games left. Conservative to estimate 100 more at bats. Say 38 more hits. He ends the season at 247, ten behind George. That's a quick and dirty.

Discuss/Comments.

The Red Sox are 4.5 games behind the Yanks.

The Red Sox have a good chance of winning the AL East.

Discuss/comments.

Go Dodgers. (I can't believe I said that).

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
08-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Ichiro:
32 games so it would be more like 120 AB's. I think he has a good chance to break that record.

NY/Boston:
NY has 17 games coming up against Cleveland, Baltimore, Kansas City, and Tampa
Boston has 9 in a row against Anaheim, Texas, and Oakland, then 7 against Seattle and Tampa.

daryn
08-29-2004, 08:49 PM
also boston has 6 games against NY.

i like the sox chances to make the playoffs and i'm not trying to say they're gonna win the division, but it's very possible.

the sox own the yanks heads up, so i see them picking up 2 and maybe 4 games in the 6 they have with the yanks.

ThaSaltCracka
08-29-2004, 08:52 PM
those 6 games will be very interesting to watch, but the key for Boston is to play atleast .500 ball against the Anaheim, Texas, and Oakland. Those 9 games are probably more important than the 6 coming up with NY.

FWIW, I think the AL wildcard winner will be in the WS, unless Boston takes the east, then they'll be in the WS.

daryn
08-29-2004, 08:55 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
those 6 games will be very interesting to watch, but the key for Boston is to play atleast .500 ball against the Anaheim, Texas, and Oakland. Those 9 games are probably more important than the 6 coming up with NY.

FWIW, I think the AL wildcard winner will be in the WS, unless Boston takes the east, then they'll be in the WS.

[/ QUOTE ]

regarding your first paragraph, i agree. like i said i'd rather see them beat the crap out of the west. i mean i'd love for them to win the east, don't get me wrong.

regarding your second paragraph, if the redsox make the playoffs, they will either be the AL wild card winner, or the AL East winner....

so are you saying that if the sox make the playoffs they will go to the world series? i agree!

ThaSaltCracka
08-29-2004, 09:02 PM
eh, let me change that then, if Boston wins the wild card, I think the AL West champ will go to the WS. If Boston doesn't win the wild card, I think it will be the wild card winner or the AL West champ that goes to the WS. If Boston wins the East, they will definitely be in the WS. Its all about momentum going into the playoffs.

daryn
08-29-2004, 09:08 PM
i fail to see how you have to win the division to have momentum going into the playoffs.

what is your reasoning behind the west going to the WS if boston wins the wild card?

Zeno
08-29-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its all about momentum going into the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is often a plus. But Oakland usually plays well in the later stages of the season lately (again this year) and then fall on their faces.

The AL west race will be very exciting and close. Almost a given the last few years.

-Zeno

bugstud
08-29-2004, 09:10 PM
WC plays the central winner and crushes them. West and East play a grueling series. WC wins the ensuing matchup based on rest and whatnot?

My best guess at the logic.

ThaSaltCracka
08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
heres my logic behind it, and it has nothing to do with my west coast bias or my hatred of the Red Sox.

If the Sox win the wc, its almost like they are settling for it. However if they win the East, then they have a lot of positive momentum going into the playoffs.

The AL West has been a close race all year, with all three teams(in contention) knowing that they either need to win the division or the wild card to make the playoffs. Winning the west would be huge for any of those teams just based upon how close it has been all season long. But the wild card wouldn't be bad either, and heres why, IMO. There isn't that much of a difference between the AL west race and the wild card race, the team records are all similar. I dunno, I just see the wild card as being more valuable to the west teams than for Boston. It just seems like a let down for Boston.

daryn
08-29-2004, 09:30 PM
the sox won the wild card last year, but played the west.

daryn
08-29-2004, 09:31 PM
i can tell you, if the sox win the wild card, it will NOT be considered a letdown here. the wildcard race right now is tight, and winning it would hardly be "settling for it".

CCass
08-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Ichiro has averaged a tab over 4 AB's per game, so 120 more AB's is reasonable. If he hits .400 over those last 120 AB's he will wind up with 257 hits.

He has a chance, but I would say less than 50/50 at the moment.

sam h
08-29-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WC plays the central winner and crushes them. West and East play a grueling series.

[/ QUOTE ]

WC will play team with best record not in their division. That probably means an east WC team will play the west winner and a west WC team will play the east winner.

Twins look like the weakest playoff team. But Santana going twice in a five game series is still tough.