PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever play monopoly for real money?

Eihli
08-29-2004, 08:22 PM
I havn't played this since I was 12 or 13 but looking back on it, that game had quite a bit of strategy and it looks like it would be fun to play with real money. I was thinking everyone puts up $25, $10 goes to the bank(to pay for passing go, etc) and $15 is what you play with(since 1500 is what you play with in play money, this works out good). Anyone ever done this?

felson
08-29-2004, 08:37 PM
If you play according to the rules, which say that you play until everyone goes bankrupt except one person, then the end result is that one person gets all the money. But I don't think any of the strategy changes, unless some people were content to play for second place before. Now they have a strong inducement to play only to win.

Eihli
08-29-2004, 08:44 PM
People will still have property though that they can sell back to the bank. That way it's not winner take all. It's been so long since I've played I forgot most of the rules. I was hoping someone else had done this so I wouldn't have to create my own half-assed system for payout.

ZeeJustin
08-30-2004, 12:55 AM
Run it tournament style. Winner takes all, or 80% to first 20% to second, etc. The bank makes assigning dollar values to the play money complicated. Think of it like a tournament where the chips (play money) don't have a constant $ value.

nolanfan34
08-30-2004, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you play according to the rules, which say that you play until everyone goes bankrupt except one person, then the end result is that one person gets all the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd ask for a chop right after the game starts.

I haven't played Monopoly for a long time, but if I remember correctly, it always seemed that the luck of the dice dictated who won more than anything.

ThaSaltCracka
08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
no way man, there is definetly some strategy to that game.

bwana devil
08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played Monopoly for a long time, but if I remember correctly, it always seemed that the luck of the dice dictated who won more than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

the dice are rigged. one time playing, i rolled 5-5 three times in a row. no way that was a coincidence.

RocketManJames
08-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Here's a post I made a while back on exactly this... monopoly for real money. We did this back in college.

Old Post on Monopoly for Money (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=probability&Number=668 347&Forum=f11&Words=monopoly&Searchpage=0&Limit=25 &Main=667703&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&dater ange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post668347)

-RMJ