PDA

View Full Version : Creating a poker face

Big Folder
08-29-2004, 08:17 PM
so i've been playing for 2 years and recently online a lot but i still have a problem keeping a poker faces at important times.

Basically when I just flopped a monster sometimes I can't help but smile and while this doesn't really matter much with the most players at the small stakes tables in B&M because they dont look around much, i figured I need to nail it down eventually.

Any tips or will i eventually be able to control myself and my poop eating grin

/images/graemlins/grin.gif (me with rockets)

Rudbaeck
08-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Botox

Big Folder
08-29-2004, 08:43 PM
its that or a ski-mask and the mask is cheaper....

Rudbaeck
08-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Actually I have the exact same problem. I've found that simple breath exercises atleast alleviate the problem.

No one can see me grinning like a chimp at my monitor though. (Well, my wife, but I'm not taking her money in poker. She keeps taking my poker money though...)

bernie
08-30-2004, 03:04 AM
Even if you flop a monster, it isn't good until they push the pot to you. I've found that as i got cracked on pretty much every hand imaginable, nothing really suprises me. So i really don't get too excited when i hit a huge pot. Also the fact that i could put it all back in in 2 hands.

Concentrate on a consistent bet motion/rhythm. Notice how you play when you don't have a monster and emulate that. Or base it off how opponents rhythms.

Just an idea to chew on

b

Tonsafun
08-30-2004, 04:37 AM
oesn’t seem like anyone has really answered the question you asked yet.

I agree with one of the posters that you don’t even need one if you’re playing low limits. There were dozens of times back when I used to play 3-6 and 4-8 when, just to screw with people, I would tell them what I had or even play with my cards up after the flop (try this sometime; the reaction is priceless). Didn’t stop them from chasing and paying me off.

Now, I don’t do that so much. I had to develop a poker face and I tried a lot of things and decided the easiest for me to do was to look as bored as humanly possible. If you can concentrate on your play and make good decisions at the same time as thinking of something really unexciting (you know, like thinking about baseball during sex to last longer) you should do that. Your “poker face” will make itself.

wdbaker
08-31-2004, 03:54 AM
I presume you are in a BM, best thing to do is do the same thing every time. People will be perpetually confused.

When you get that big hand, ask them what kind of chips they'd like to be payed with as you push money into the pot. something stupid and funny that you can anchor them with. Then if you win big do the same thing next time your trying to steal.

Honestly though, most of the time the people your playing against will have a hard enough time thinking about there own problems let alone thinking about what your thinking they think you have /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

AncientPC
08-31-2004, 04:39 AM
Do the same smile when you miss and try to steal. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif