PDA

View Full Version : An "Odds" question.

Kregar
08-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi Folks,

Math is not my forte, but I'm trying to deal with it so I can improve my game.

I know if I have 2 suited cards, and 2 more flop, I have about 4-1 odds against me to make a flush. If the pot odds are better than 4-1 then I should call.

What if there is one of my suited cards on the flop, and I'm holding a reasonably high card. Should I play one postflop bet in the hopes of getting the 4th suited card, and see if the 4-1 odds on the turn are still worth another bet against the pot odds?

Thanks in advance.

Kregar

uuDevil
08-29-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the pot odds are better than 4-1 then I should call.

[/ QUOTE ]
You also need to consider the extra bets you win if you make your hand (implied odds). There's almost no circumstance in which you should consider folding a flopped 4-flush in limit hold'em. This is a strong hand, especially in a multiway pot, where you can often raise to get extra money in the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
What if there is one of my suited cards on the flop, and I'm holding a reasonably high card.

[/ QUOTE ]

An overcard and a backdoor flush draw is a weak hand (worth maybe 1.5 outs for the overcard and 1.5 for the flush), but if the pot is big enough (~15 bets), you should consider playing on.

You should look for Ed Miller's posts on flush draws and counting outs. Also get his book, "Small Stakes Hold'em" if you have enough playing experience (>100 hours).