PDA

View Full Version : Could I have avoided busting?

rjb03
08-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Pokerstars $5+0.50...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

UTG (t3595)
MP1 (t1130)
MP2 (t930)
CO (t1230)
Button (t3330)
Hero (t1380)
BB (t1905)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t30, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t70, CO calls t70.

Flop: (t330) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t330</font>, UTG calls t330, CO folds.

Turn: (t990) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t950 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t950.

River: (t2890) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t289

Results in white: <font color="white">He turns over [Ad 3s] and wins...</font>

Would anybody have slowed down on the turn? The guy was not very good, playing bad cards out of position. I figured he was just playing extra loosely with the stack he had holding two overcards or a not so great pocket pair.

pukenpete
08-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Probably not. If he was that bad, he'd call the all in on the turn had it been a blank. He pays you off in the long run.

schlach
08-29-2004, 07:17 PM
If you had checked the turn, and he had gone all-in, what would you have done?

Or, if he's the type that's always happier looking you up... what would have happened if you'd put in a smallish bet, which he went over the top of all-in?

If he's really an 'any 2' player, (and I've seen a guy win three raised pots in a row with 53o, 75o, and 75o again -- he went on to get 2nd. That was even a $20+2, not a $5+.5), what likelihood would you figure to be beat at this point by a small two-pair or even a concealed set?

When I'm the pre-flop raiser, and someone calls my pot-sized bets all the way down, I tend to start getting nervous with only one pair. Granted, up til the turn, he was the one making the mistake.

I think that the correct way to play this hand changes drastically depending on what level you're playing, but at $5+.5, if you put in a hefty (but not pot-sized) bet on the turn and got called or raised, you should have a healthy fear of not having the best hand, and I'd start trying to see a show-down as cheaply as possible. But I'm pretty timid at $5 tables early on...