PDA

View Full Version : Equally common 3/6 situation...

arkady
08-29-2004, 02:42 PM
This is a slight variation on EM's post, but I find that its more dfficult...

I want to make sure you guys are handling this spot correctly. It has already come up several times for me.

You open-raise from MP with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif . Only the BB calls.

The flop is K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif . The BB checks, you bet, BB raises.

Eihli
08-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Fold?

MAxx
08-29-2004, 04:29 PM
what's the difference, are u serious?

bdk3clash
08-29-2004, 04:31 PM
In Ed's example, the BB bet into you; in Arkady's he checkraised you.

MAxx
08-29-2004, 04:51 PM
ok gotcha, didnt pick up on that.

i am now trying to think how that makes a difference. my biggest thought is that BB cant have a monster, or he'd wait till turn to c/r. it seems he could make this play with a weak king, but I would still stongly suspect the midrang pp. In Arkady's example I would be more inclined to 3bet flop, check turn, and snapp off the bluff on river.

arkady
08-29-2004, 05:28 PM
christ that was harsh

MAxx
08-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Not trying to be harsh, i just didnt pick up on the detail that the villain c/r in your example as opossed the leading out in eds.

What's your thoughts on the hand?

sfer
08-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Did your openraise look like a steal?

arkady
08-29-2004, 07:07 PM
thats like...level 2 or 3 thinking -cut it out, i am not good enough for that.

sfer
08-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Seriously, if you're two off the button, he could easily be trying to resteal.

spamuell
08-29-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, if you're two off the button, he could easily be trying to resteal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've had this more often than one might expect where I have raised pre-flop in LP, missed the flop, been check-raised and threebet and my opponent has folded to the threebet. It depends a lot on your image at the time and table texture as well as a player read, it's quite hard to just have a default play.

spamuell
08-30-2004, 06:38 AM
I'd like to know your answer to this situation, arkady. It would be nice if you could tell me whether I'm handling this spot correctly.

arkady
08-30-2004, 11:20 AM
the hell if I know, lol. i don't even know. I would say that sfer is on the right track and that you better be prepared to have some read. When you get raised on such a drawless board, they either have it or they don't.

Wish it was that simple...but it does happen a lot.

MaxPower
08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Do you really think this is a common situation? I find that most of the time players do not play back at me on the flop. They usually check-call the flop and then check-raise the turn if they hit a king.

arkady
08-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Really? Maybe I have an image problem, I get into constant flop wars in 5/10, maybe the jackpot is making people angrier?

AviD
08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
My answer is...not enough info provided in the original post.

What type of player is BB?
What is your current image at the table?
What do you think BB thinks about your play?
Is BB likely to check raise this flop on a steal attempt assuming you were on a steal?
Would the BB check raise here with less than a K, perhaps a small pocket pair? Or is he overly straight-forward (idiotic even) to raise a 2 or even a K here?

Cmon, I'm sure you're just thinking about perogies and snow, but give us some details! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, I call his flop check raise and his turn bet and his river bet...and bet if he checks to me, only getting skired if he CRs me again! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chances are, if I like the board I may pop him on the river...as again...I don't think he'd CR a K or a 2 here on the flop...unless he's ONLY concerned about his hand or is into some N level thinking where N > 3. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AviD
08-30-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I have an image problem

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting they know you're Russian, damn Sputniks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

joker122
08-30-2004, 12:06 PM
It's most likely not a 2. A 2 usually waits till the turn. It could be a king, a smaller PP, or A high.

My answer: against an unknown, it doesn't matter whether you call it down or not. I would expect to win around 40-50% of the time so the EV is very close IMO.

arkady
08-30-2004, 12:14 PM
That is very close to what I was thinking myself...absent any reads the EV here is neutral.

Good reply /images/graemlins/wink.gif

arkady
08-30-2004, 12:15 PM
So I should change my party name from Red_Square_Patron to something else?

arkady
08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I am indeed thinking about snow and perogies and [censored], but the BB is unknown for the most part, all you know is that like the other Partyers he will defend his BB with a wide range of holdings.

AviD
08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah like Sickle_Hammer_BoT

arkady
08-30-2004, 12:36 PM
As much as I hate anything that is connected to communism, I definitely dig that handle.