PDA

View Full Version : Insight into Seidel's final play

lolita16
08-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I understand and appreciate the idea of stealing more when approaching the bubble; probably more important in this particular tournament that any other. Was Seidel primarily only raiseing Gus with the K8, thinking that his hand might be best and that Gus might fold this close to the bubble?

When the player behind him came back over with 4x Eric's raise had he already become pot committed? If he was pot committed at that point, why not just push all in? I thought in watching it that he was trying to steal from Gus while saving a few chips to at least last a few more hands and try to get in just past the bubble, but if that the case, why call when you get reraised?

This play looked odd to me especially coming from a solid professional.

Stew
08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand and appreciate the idea of stealing more when approaching the bubble; probably more important in this particular tournament that any other. Was Seidel primarily only raiseing Gus with the K8, thinking that his hand might be best and that Gus might fold this close to the bubble?

When the player behind him came back over with 4x Eric's raise had he already become pot committed? If he was pot committed at that point, why not just push all in? I thought in watching it that he was trying to steal from Gus while saving a few chips to at least last a few more hands and try to get in just past the bubble, but if that the case, why call when you get reraised?

This play looked odd to me especially coming from a solid professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised (Gus) all-in, when Hughes came over the top, Erik said "Call" as a joke, he was already all-in.

Dynasty
08-29-2004, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He raised (Gus) all-in, when Hughes came over the top, Erik said "Call" as a joke, he was already all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seidel was not all-in on that hand. However, it did not look like he had to call the full 25K raise.

Nottom
08-29-2004, 09:12 PM
It seems odd to me that Seidel would raise to the point where he was pot committed yet not just push all-in to begin with. Any thoughts?

j0n_blayze
08-29-2004, 09:24 PM
maybe he screwed up.

exist
08-29-2004, 11:40 PM
i'm pretty sure seidel was all-in before hughes came over the top. i think the layout of his chips in the pot was the same before and after hughes raised, so i don't think he put more in. around the time seidel says "call" he is fidgeting with something below the screen which may look like he is putting the rest of his chips into the pot. however, you can see from the reflection of his glasses that he is just turning off his ipod.

do you have extra information on the hand that was not available on the WSOP show?

morello
08-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Seidel was talking about this hand on Full Tilt. I believe he said he was already all in.

lolita16
08-30-2004, 06:57 AM
That makes more sense to me. I thought like some of the others, that he called the reraise with his last few chips which was the part that didn't make sense.

That was a very gutsy play just outside the bubble. I would be curious to know if gus would have folded for eric's raise alone or if it was the reraise that caused him to fold.

Stew
08-30-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seidel was not all-in on that hand. However, it did not look like he had to call the full 25K raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he was, at least according to the way the video is edited on ESPN he was as he puts no chips into the pot when it comes back to him to act, as they were all in already. Now, the video may have chopped out his placing of the chips into the pot, but I'm just going off the video replay of the event.