PDA

View Full Version : AK, big pot, flop bet from nowhere

sfer
08-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I think this is pretty routine. Comments?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10.25 BB).</font>

Jimbobobb
08-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Depending upon my read of BB, sometimes I raise the flop here and grab a free card if possible. (this is if BB is weak). How you played it seems more than fine. What was your plan if you didn't improve on the turn? How about if he bet into you on the river? Raise or call? I put BB on some T, with maybe a piece of the board somewhere.

Entity
08-29-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm a bit confused as to why you didn't raise the turn. Mind explaining?

I'd raise the turn to get in an extra bet then, especially when BB has calling station tendencies, so I gain one extra BB on this.

Rob

sfer
08-29-2004, 01:23 PM
My plan was to improve on the turn, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif, and call the whole way, bet if checked to. Raising doesn't accomplish much on the flop give my position. I can't get anyone out since no one is behind me. He's very likely got a piece of the flop given the strength shown by his opponents preflop.

sfer
08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I want to show down. A turn raise might fold him when he's behind and will almost certainly get me 3-bet when he's ahead. By calling and making sure to collect a river bet, I win the most and lose the least.

Greg J
08-29-2004, 01:31 PM
I am stuck on whether to ask stupid questions and look... well, stupid, or keep quiet and remain ignorant. What the hell, I will ask:

This flop looks to me like a raise or fold situation. It looks to me like you have 6 outs, plus however many outs a runner-runner straight is. If villian is passive it is likely to get you a "free" card by raising.

Turn: Why not raise here?

Entity
08-29-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to show down. A turn raise might fold him when he's behind and will almost certainly get me 3-bet when he's ahead. By calling and making sure to collect a river bet, I win the most and lose the least.

[/ QUOTE ]
You haven't shared much of a read on the BB, but given what I'm used to at PP, a turn raise isn't sending him anywhere unless he has NO piece of the flop. If he caught enough of a piece to bet, he'll call down. You're right that if he 3-bets it costs extra to get to the SD, but I think you'll be ahead often enough against a calling station that raising will be +EV. Also, I don't think a 3-betting hand (a set or 2pr) would have bet out on that flop; I think they'd go for a check-raise instead.

Would like hearing other's thoughts on this, but as it stands, I think not raising the turn is pretty bad.

Rob

sfer
08-29-2004, 01:37 PM
I there were players behind me that I could knock out I would normally raise. Here it looks like I'm ahead of one opponent, likely behind a second opponent, and these guys love to stop n' go. I think just seeing the turn cheap is best.

Entity
08-29-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I there were players behind me that I could knock out I would normally raise. Here it looks like I'm ahead of one opponent, likely behind a second opponent, and these guys love to stop n' go. I think just seeing the turn cheap is best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given your position, sometimes a raise on the flop can get you all the way to a free showdown, though. At the very least it can gain you a free card.

If these guys really love to sng, like you say, then I like the flat call. However, I think a raise is viable as well, unless you were planning to check/fold the turn UI.

Rob

Greg J
08-29-2004, 01:41 PM
What do you do if the turn is a blank? Call another bet or fold?

sfer
08-29-2004, 01:42 PM
He was an unknown, so I had no idea whether he was a calling station. If I knew that, I would take your line on the turn.

sfer
08-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I muck the turn unimproved.

Trix
08-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I raise the turn. I dont mind him folding either. I dont think he has given much thought to what you may hold, so I think I´m ahead often here.

afk
08-29-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise the turn. I dont mind him folding either. I dont think he has given much thought to what you may hold, so I think I´m ahead often here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise the turn and get 3bet, do you muck it? Or do you call it down?

cnfuzzd
08-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Ive found lots of times that many people like betting into the prflop raiser with any piece of the flop. Here, i would assume that BB probably has a jack, worst case scenario being JT or AJ, unless he has the made straight. I like your play up till the turn. I would raise here. I think you have the best hand, and BB is probably on a draw. I think that not raising the turn means you could raise the river when no scare card falls. Although, having voiced my opinion, it really is a matter of one big bet, and thus not an agonizing decision.

peace

john nickle

Eihli
08-29-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't think a raise on the turn would fold out many worse hands. It will charge him the most when he's drawing (which is very possible) and most people will call down with any pair (which is very possible) and most people would only re-raise you with QT (rare given the array of possible holdings). I think a turn raise is more +EV than calling.

sfer
08-29-2004, 06:04 PM
This is another reason I didn't raise the turn. I refuse to fold to turn 3-bets at this limit at Party. Too much craziness.

sfer
08-29-2004, 06:04 PM
I think you were at the table when this hand went down.

Trix
08-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Call down if 3bet.

cnfuzzd
08-29-2004, 10:31 PM
its finally happened. Someone saw me playing not on a 2+2 table. My reputation has been ruined. Anywho, i assume you would have to have been playing under a different screenname than the one you use at the 2+2 table. PM the handnumber or table and i will give you my read on the player, if you want true LAG advice.

peace

john nickle

cnfuzzd
08-30-2004, 12:17 AM
i was in the middle of watching aqua teen hunger force when i realized you might be saying that i correctly read the hand, and that i missed the point of your response. I thought that was very amusing. So, how did it turn out?

peace

john nickle