PDA

View Full Version : Poker on TV. Who needs to read?!!

Scavengerfolk
08-29-2004, 11:22 AM
This is disturbing but true. It really happened to me.

In a recent online SNG tourny, I was told I should watch the World Poker Tour to learn a little more about how to play. When I asked the other player which books has he read, he replied, "None, I don't need them."

What has the WPT taught you?

hudat
08-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I've learned great nicknames for all the starting hands and exactly what "creative hands" are

PokerNeal
08-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Yes. You watch a lot of Gus Hansen and you will start moving all in with your 7-3 offsuit and re-raising with your J-3.... And who knows... you might just get lucky. I hope that everyone else out there watches WPT on TV and learn poker and create a vast dead sea of dead money for the rest of us.....

Potowame
08-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Yes I agree, If you look at the cards that GUS is playing and think that you can play the same cards and win, your going to loose all your money /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I really don't think Gus plays his cards for face value, at a Final table of the WPT.

I learned 1 thing watching the WPT, when "COWBOY" was at the final table PPM 2003 with I think three or four to go he checked a monster, and as soon as he checked he reached back for chips. The other player looked as if he was going to bet out but caught this action , and quickly checked. Not that picking up on a tell like this would help me online at all /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Scavengerfolk
08-29-2004, 01:29 PM
It's funny that you bring up Gus Hansen. The player in question said, "Gus Hansen is the best player on the World Poker Tour." Gus has made one final table this year. That's right! Uno!
Now that's more than me, but best player? From where I'm sitting, Ron Faltinsky from Montebello is a much better player.
Never heard of Ron? Well maybe that's because he doesn't stand up and flex his biceps for the viewing audience.

What do you think about that, Gus?!!!

USCUNC
08-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Not disturbed by this at all.

Sure - PStars use to max out at about 13,000 players and now is routinely at 21,000. And while the smaller tourney's 1,2 and $3 buy-in use to max out at 1300 players and now 2,000 really prolong the tourney's and add time; if they are all learning the game from only watching TV - edited for entertainment - then, my chances of adding to my kitty is going to go up. I just need to be cautious, because some idiot may actually stay with 27 off suit in early position to a 5x raise - and the flop - may hit two pair or even a set - and i loose my A's to them.

But if they play that way routinely, they will be just dead money.

Regards,

gergery
08-29-2004, 05:31 PM
That people who watch the WPT give me their money.
God bless the WPT.

Boltsfan1992
08-29-2004, 08:22 PM
That Shauna Hiatt is a babe...

I don't watch WPT for the articles.