PDA

View Full Version : $15-30, a bad guess

08-13-2002, 06:03 PM
$15-30. A fun game to watch. Every pot has n minus one players in it, unless I play and then it has n.

It's a seven-handed game and three players lobby at the same time, including the guy on my right (RHO) who was only up for a minute, and who is still in shock from missing his blind because the other two had lobbied right after he did. He can't wait to post both blinds behind the button, even though it's four-handed now.(I think a correcter play would have been to straddle.) :-)

He checks his preflop post, and I raise on the button with A-5 suited. All call. Fourway.

Flop: K-K-5 with two clubs. I don't like the way the small blind checks. The others check too. I bet. The small blind calls and I'm not sure what he's trying to act like, or if he's acting, or what. But he's doing something down there. The big blind folds. RHO calls.

Turn card: an offsuit six. I still don't like the way the small blind checks. RHO checks. And this is where I think money can be made, by guessing right here more than the other guys, bet or check. I guess check.

River comes the ten of clubs. The board is Kc-Ks-5c, 6h, 10c. This time I like the way the small blind checks, and especially that he does check, but that means that bugger hornshwaggered me, doing all that stuff with nothing, not even a flush draw, so I'd check the turn. Shit! I'm pretty sure I have him beat and I'm planning to bet the river as soon as RHO checks. Woops! RHO bets out. Small blind indicates that he will be folding.

I'm lost so I call. SB folds. RHO turns over 10s-3d for a rivered pair of tens.

Okay, let's do a show of hands. Who here loves to play hold'em?

Tommy

08-13-2002, 06:35 PM
It's good to know that you play like us mere mortals once in a while!!

08-13-2002, 07:16 PM
A week or two (or three) ago I made up a hand and lo and behold a day or two later you actually played the hand I made up.

Yesterday, I got a free play in the BB with 7-5o. Flop came K-K-5 rainbow. After sb checked, I bet into 2 limpers; 1 fishy limper called and the other and the sb folded.

Turn was. . . yes, a 6 (of the 4th suit). I bet again (don't ask me why) and he called again.

River was. . . yes, a T. I checked and he checked and my 7-5 was, somehow, good.

BTW, I'm not posting the hands I played good. Just the ones where I checked the nuts on the river and this one.

08-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Raise the river and you might like playing Holdem too!

Vince

08-13-2002, 08:42 PM
"I bet again (don't ask me why) "

Well...I'm kinda lost here. Why wouldnt you bet again? (I can't see a point in checking)

Thanks

08-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Really, would anyone stay in with 10-3 offsuit and no draw on the flop.

A "correcter" decision was to guess to bet. I didn't think you were that tight.

Michael Low

08-13-2002, 11:12 PM
I think against 2 opponents you should bet in this spot becasue your hand is vulnerable being only a pair of 5's against 2 opponents. If i was against 1 opponent especially if he was tricky and I couldn't lay down to a turn check-raise i sometimes will check behind on the turn. I'd want to check behind sometimes against the 2 but will usually grit my teeth bet.

08-14-2002, 12:45 AM
"more correct"

08-14-2002, 01:19 AM
My sentiments exactly. Guessing better than others in these situation is a big part of syphening the skill level of players. I guessed wrong today because I was sure this player was acting fishy, but he laughed last as he acted his way to a free card.

08-14-2002, 01:58 AM
What could the guy have calling a flop of K-K-5 rainbow that I could beat with 7-5?

I know, money.

08-14-2002, 03:24 AM
$15-30. A fun game to watch. Every pot has n minus one players in it, unless I play and then it has n.

lol where do you come up with this stuff? :-)

To tell you the truth I probably would have played it the same way then thought back later that I should have bet the turn

(which seems to be the exact same thing that you went through)

08-14-2002, 03:55 AM
That's okay, I'll just pick another. BTW, don't be a grammar nit, hon.

08-14-2002, 06:15 AM
So you check-fold? Is there not any chance he would call with hands like AJ AT etc hoping you either are on a bluff or he thinks he could make you laydown a pair of fives? I really dont know, but check-folding feels so unnatural to me here.

Regards

08-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Me: "correcter"

You: "more correct"

You are correct, I mean, correcter, I mean, a corrector, I mean, a mean corrector!