PDA

View Full Version : How George W Bush got the gig in the National Guard

Cyrus
08-29-2004, 02:05 AM
The current occupant of the White House has lashed at the simple statements of fact pertaining to John Kerry's record of military service. GWB operates under the assumption that if enough lies are hurled at a truth, someone, sometime is bound to call the whole thing a "draw".

GWB seemingly operates under a delusional assumption.

Here is how old George got his gig at the National Guard, and essentially hightailed it out of a war he otherwise fervently supported -- at a safe distance. About 350 Americans, as you should know, were getting killed in Vietnam every week that GWB spent in his Guard unit. AWOL or not.

A Very Lucky Young Man (http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/12/news-dubose.php)

Video: Former Texas Speaker of the House apologizing for getting Bush into the Guard to avoid the service (http://69.59.167.160/)

vulturesrow
08-29-2004, 02:37 AM
Cyrus,

Bush hasnt said anything negative about Kerry's service in Vietnam. As for getting into the ANG, it definitely wasnt out of the ordinary at the time, right or wrong. And lets not act like Kerry was just frothing at the mouth when he signed up..he wanted a deferment didnt get it, signed up in the Naval Reserves, got activated, then went to swift boats after spending time on a blue water ship, thinking at the time that swift boats werent seeing much action (which they werent at that time).

So if you want to attack the president's service, thats fine. But dont try to paint Kerry lily white and dont pretend is some sort of rebuttal to Bush disparaging Kerry's service, because he hasnt done that!

Glenn
08-29-2004, 02:41 AM
There have been 123,419,128 posts here about Bush and Kerry's Vietnam service. It was a stupid war, and it's over. Get over yourselves and debate something pertaining to today, like the idiotic 2.5T federal budget or whether Kerry actually has an opinion on anything.

CORed
08-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Something somewhat related to think about: Some advocates of bringing back the draft have used the argument that the all-volunteer military results in a disproportinate share of military service being performed by lower-income people. Do these people really believe that rich people won't find a way to avoid the draft?

vulturesrow
08-29-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Something somewhat related to think about: Some advocates of bringing back the draft have used the argument that the all-volunteer military results in a disproportinate share of military service being performed by lower-income people

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you and I have some fundamental disagreements but I see this argument (for the draft) as eminently stupid? So what if more lower income people join an all volunteer military? I for one an completely against a draft.