PDA

View Full Version : Flush on the turn any reason to check?

08-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Cut-off seat...I have the Ad 7d and open raise. Small Blind 3-Bets he is a tight solid player who beats the game and knows I would attempt to steal in this situation. Big Blind is the weakest player in the game and loosest (Older Wealthy Man). Flop comes Qd 9c 3d...SB bets out BB calls I decide to raise because the small blind would basically bet any flop, the Big Blind could have any two random cards and I want to take control of the hand in case I dont hit my flush both players call...

Turn 6d...they both check, is there any reason to check behind here to keep them around and induce a bluff on the river?

Results later

08-13-2002, 04:48 PM
No.

Vince

08-13-2002, 04:57 PM
NO!

08-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Why in the world would you check the turn? It's

a big pot already and it's difficult for anyone to

put you on a flush in this spot. If you bet the turn and with a little luck you might get check

raised and maybe raised by the blind and you win

an even bigger pot. If you check the turn and

a diamond comes on the river your action is essentially killed. Also by checking the turn

anyone who has a draw will call ( most likely

the big blind) and if they miss on the river you

collect nothing.

Bruce

08-13-2002, 06:22 PM
Well, I bet and both players folded...the board was uncoordinated and I didnt really think either player had much, the SB would bet the flop with any hand even if it completely missed the board but would not go into a passive mode unless he most likely was planning to check and fold. I am almost positive that a check on the turn would have induced a bluff from one of the 2 spots on the river (or could let them catch something). On the other hand this is all results oriented and I am not saying that my turn check was a mistake but wanted to know if it could be played the other way...thanks for the responses

08-14-2002, 12:43 PM
I would never check in this spot, unless I was up

against world class players, and then I would never find myself in this spot to begin with.

Bruce