PDA

View Full Version : AK twice 100-200

mike l.
08-28-2004, 08:47 PM
a couple AK hands against the same player.

hand 1: i have AK in mp the same high stakes player who is okay postflop, fearless, and pretty loose is on my right and features heavily in both hands. he openraises, i 3 bet, folded back to him and he calls.

the flop is TT2. he checks and calls my bet.

the turn is 7. he checks, i check.

the river is a 3. he checks and calls my bet.

hand 2: i have AhKh utg and consider limping but raise instead because it seems better given my image and the game texture. one player cold calls and the sb and bb call. bb is the guy from hand before.

the flop 988 rainbow. checked around.

the turn is 2 rainbow. sb checks, bb bets, i think and think and fold.

comments?

Pot-A
08-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Hand 1: Nice play. Hopefully he had AQ or AJ so you don't have to chop the pot.

Hand 2: That's the way I would play it. Lost too much drawing dead on this kind of hand, and anyway the pot isn't very big.

Rick Nebiolo
08-29-2004, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a couple AK hands against the same player.

hand 1: i have AK in mp the same high stakes player who is okay postflop, fearless, and pretty loose is on my right and features heavily in both hands. he openraises, i 3 bet, folded back to him and he calls.

the flop is TT2. he checks and calls my bet.

the turn is 7. he checks, i check.

the river is a 3. he checks and calls my bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the turn check but not by a lot. checking gets weaker aces to pay you off on the river, saves money when you are checkraised or checkcalled by a pair. betting gets the money in now when up against slightly weaker hands that won't pay you off twice. yeah, checking is better.

easy river bet after a check. my guess is you got called by AQ or AJ - hope i'm not wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2: i have AhKh utg and consider limping but raise instead because it seems better given my image and the game texture. one player cold calls and the sb and bb call. bb is the guy from hand before.

the flop 988 rainbow. checked around.

the turn is 2 rainbow. sb checks, bb bets, i think and think and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the kind of flop an AK should be checking against with three opponents. once you thought so much on the turn you are committed to folding on close ones unless you think a lot then show aggression but my guess is that isn't your style.

you can't play hard aggressive every hand post flop (if you did, you aggro plays would lose effectiveness over time). probably a good fold here with this board.

~ rick

SA125
08-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Good analysis Rick.

34TheTruth34
08-29-2004, 01:08 PM
I think you played both hands perfectly, except that I'm not 100% sure on the river bet in hand one.

"I like the turn check, but not by a lot" -Rick N.

This is interesting to read, because I would think that against this opponent (loose, plays well postflop, fearless, tricky) this is a mandatory check on the turn so you don't get outplayed. Having to call a check-raise here sucks and you know he'd make it with a wide range of hands. You don't want to get pushed off your hand. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

El Dukie
08-29-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
easy river bet after a check. my guess is you got called by AQ or AJ - hope i'm not wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet the river too; the primary concern is a smaller pocket pair. Is this guy subtle enough to check the river to induce a bluff after the turn is checked through...?

mike l.
08-29-2004, 02:50 PM
he did have AQ in the first hand so i won.

in the second hand i folded and the next guy folded. then the sb showed A6 and said should i call and the bb was laughing and he said "yes!" and sb folded and then bb showed us KJo. so results wise there it was the wrong play, but i guess i still like it.