PDA

View Full Version : Calling two cold twice to draw to a weak flush in the big blind

Aaron W.
08-28-2004, 08:34 PM
This hand has me confused because I'm not sure what SSH concepts I'm applying correctly and which I'm not. Being out of position made it even harder for me.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: I am in the BB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, I check.

Flop: (5 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks to me.

This looks quite a bit like the "strong hand" on page 134 of SSH. Most of the time, I think I'd bet out here since there are several others in the pot (giving me pot equity when I get called, right? -- I would expect to get at least two calls, maybe even more).

But I decided to check this time to see what would happen. Is it so bad to check this flop? If someone else bets, then I still have odds to draw and all the same equity than if I were to bet out. And if it gets checked around, that's not so bad, either, because I get a free draw to my flush, plus my hand isn't really worth protecting because the pot is small. Do I really lose anything if I don't bet this flush draw?

Anyway, the hand continues...

UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, SB folds

So much for the small pot and free card thing. I'm getting 4:1 to call and there seems to be no good reason to raise here. I'm probably not driving anyone out, and I'm not getting much equity anymore since there are probably only going to be three players left (unless UTG also cold calls, but I didn't think that was likely). So...

I call, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

I want to bet out, because I think it will look like I've either been slowplaying or just made a wacky two pair. But I decide that this sort of trickery isn't really worth anything, and I can't think of any reason betting out here is good for me. So I check.

<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>

Here it is again. I'm getting a little over 4:1 to call, which is enough to draw one card to a flush. With this heat, however, I'm not 100% sure that all my outs are clean (pairing the Q or 5 might make someone a full house or better because of all the action). And it might get raised behind me. But I called it anyway because I can't convince myself that those fears shift things enough to make calling wrong... Besides, the pot is pretty big now.

I call and, to my surprise, UTG+1 folds behind me.

River: (10.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

I made my flush. Now it's a decision to bet out or try to check-raise. I think it's obvious to anybody watching that I've probably made my flush, and I don't think that the other guy is going to bet it, so I bet out. To my surprise, UTG+2 folds and I take it down.

I won the pot, but I haven't much of an idea of how well I played it. It feels very wrong because I don't like calling two bets cold on the flop and the turn, and even more wrong because I didn't collect anything on the river, but I can't seem to make any argument why it actually is wrong. What are your thoughts?

balkii
08-28-2004, 08:58 PM
- .5/1 goes in microforum
- dont bet the turn
- dont even think about folding this until the river
- checkraise the river

Rudbaeck
08-28-2004, 09:15 PM
You can't fold the flop for 2 bets here, as it's certain two other people will call those same 2 bets, thus giving you proper pot equity.

Sure you get the added benefit of maybe folding a higher lone /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the flop, but your bets and raises are mostly for value here. You're a 2:1 dog on making your flush, so over 2 callers means it's value betting time.

Do the river in whatever way is most likely to get a bet out of your opponent. I think a checkraise has the best expectation if you got to play this river 100 times against an average opponent.