PDA

View Full Version : A9sooooted 100-200

mike l.
08-28-2004, 08:22 PM
im in the sb w/ As9s. a very loose player who is raising a lot raises preflop from mp. cutoff poster i dont know at all (asian male 40s) calls, button loose high stakes guy cold calls, i call, bb not too good calls.

the flop is Ac3c3s. checked to preflop raiser who bets, cutoff calls, button calls, i checkraise, bb calls two cold, preflop raiser flat calls, cutoff now 3 bets, all call. 5 of us still.

the turn is 9d. checked to cutoff who bets, button calls, i call, bb calls, preflop raiser folds. 4 of us.

the river is Ah. i bet.

comments?

Wayfare
08-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Mr. Moss, I think you just won yourself a nice pot.

sweetzer
08-28-2004, 08:52 PM
The river seems like such a great time to check raise, I gather your lead bet is with the intention to reraise. From your many previous posts I am also surprised you didn't check raise the turn.

elysium
08-29-2004, 12:34 AM
hi mike

well played. you didn't have a raise on the turn; call's good. you did well to betout on the river, not because you don't want to have to call a 3-bet, but would rather your opponent call your 3-bet. it's for another reason far too complicated for me to figure out now. furthermore, i may not be posting for awhile. i'm making preparations for a possible catagory 5 event here in miami. hurricane frances is barreling forward and poised to destroy miami. this hurricane may be the most powerful and destructive hurricane in history. after crossing over south florida, frances will find super heated gulf hurricane fuel water, and will go roar. eh, alright. after she goes roar here. i know, i know. hey, but let me tell you. i'm telling all yous people. see these windows? all these windows? they're going to be like a bull. i'm zipping 5/8 inch plywood over 2x4 window frame studs into 1941 hardened concrete with 2 1/2 inch tapcons, if necessary. i will do what i can but i was never crazy about the landscapeing, so i have decided to take no measures to preserve it. preservation of landscapeing IMO is for punks. a healthy volume of tornadic ripping wind has always done more for the flora than the commercialization of the ecology that we see today; albeit miracle grow by scotts is better for the roof.

we have a hurricane!

mikelow
08-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Should you go for the river check-raise? That's the only issue here. But I think betting is correct as you might be raised and you can then go to war.

DcifrThs
08-29-2004, 01:41 AM
mike,

i think you played this hand as well as any i've seen you post. and i feel strongly about that which i usually don't about your posts. the turn raise (if you were to have done it) would have opened up a can of worms you may have wished you didn't open. the river seems clear that the value gained from betting far outweighs that gained from c-r'ing.

-Barron

mike l.
08-29-2004, 02:20 AM
interesting that people liked this one cause it felt at the time like i played it too weakly and really blew it. the size of the pot i guess put me in a more passive mode.

anyway my bet on the river was called by no one and i took it down. i think i couldve induced some bets, and maybe even some savvy steal raises, if i had checked the river.

Lawrence Ng
08-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Mike, I think you played this one poorly on the turn, but played it well on the flop.

I highly doubt anyone had a 3 in their hand and more likely so that someone had Ace-high kicker. You hit your best card on the turn. I would have check raised the turn and charged double for the flush draws.

The river bet is good too, because if the case ace is out there, he's going to raise which grants you to earn 3 more big bets when you re-raise the river.

Nice pot Mike.

Rick Nebiolo
08-29-2004, 05:46 AM
haven't looked at results yet but wonder if this is from HWP thursday night game.

like the aggro mike l. flop checkraise on the flop. cutoff poster's flop three bet looks like he probably holds a three (or ace and wants to represent a three) or maybe a flush draw (pumping for value on the flop). Possible second flush draw out there.

i'm perplexed by the turn. maybe the check-call is fine if you think you are either way ahead or still behind a three, but if you bet out or maybe checkraise here you find out if you are against the trey and punish any flush draw.

river bet is questionable. it isn't unreasonable that another ace is out, hopefully a weak one held by the BB or perhaps a decent ace in the cutoff. if no ace is out the trey bets or maybe a busted draw or middle pair bets in late position. obviously you checkraise for value, unfortunately you only get called by the ace or a tilter.

~ rick

mike l.
08-29-2004, 03:04 PM
this hand was saturday morning at commerce.

"i'm perplexed by the turn."

let me try and break down my thinking at the time.

"maybe the check-call is fine if you think you are either way ahead or still behind a three,"

i figured i was way ahead or way behind. my hand has been improved to the nut aces up so i have a real doozy now. but weak bb calling all those bets behind me on the flop and cutoff call-reraising the flop has me concerned. so i figure if im ahead im so far ahead that no one can catch me unless a flush card comes or some sort of two outer. and i dont want to bet or checkraise here and then see some weird sort of eruption of reraises behind me. nor do i want to shut out someone w/ an A really because they have to pay me off and they are drawing thin to tie w/ the case 3 or if they have a bigger kicker (although the pot does give them correct odds to do so, however they are reverse implied because they must pay off on the river so it's going to cost them 2 bbs to draw fairly thin despite the big pot).

"but if you bet out or maybe checkraise here you find out if you are against the trey"

i dont want to find that out. i cant afford to find that out and then find out im wrong. or have a 9 or A come on the river after ive made a big laydown in a big pot. since i know as soon as the turn comes that im showdown bound w/ my hand, i figured the best line of play was let someone else put the turn bets in and i will just call and let players in behind me. im not really concerned w/ charging draws here because my main concern is doing whatever i can to ensure that i see the showdown, and avoiding any situations where im having to call two bets cold or something and possibly throw away the winner. i played it defensively on the turn because i did not want to risk letting this one get away from me.

James282
08-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Mostly I like the river because the Co will call and the button will raise his worse aces full. At which point you can happily three-bet and see if the cutoff wants to pay 2 and whether this guy will raise you again. Whereas if you check-raise you could whiff or not psychologically pot committ the dude who has a three.
-James

mike l.
08-29-2004, 03:13 PM
that's what i was thinking when i bet but in my head now i have a pretty clear idea of what i think wouldve happened, i think it's about 50% that this wouldve happened:

i wouldve checked, bb wouldve checked, cutoff would bet, and now button who is smart wouldve realised there's a big chance cutoff has a flush draw he missed and he will raise, and then i can reraise them both and i earn 3 big bets more. yeah im about 50% that wouldve happened.

cutoff thought a long time on the end, im leaning towards him actually having had a 3.

AviD
08-29-2004, 03:57 PM
hi ely

beware of sharks, they may come ashore.