PDA

View Full Version : AA 40-80 hand

mike l.
08-28-2004, 08:19 PM
im utg and limp w/ AA in a good 40-80 game this morning. 2 people limp behind me and the blinds call. this post is not meant to be a discussion of the preflop play weve gone over that all before and my choice given the aggression and speed of this game and my image was to limp. and that was the correct play.

5 of us see this flop: 766 rainbow. sb checks, bb bets, i call, the rest fold. 2 of us. bb is a skilled but loose attacking player.

the turn is a 7. check, check.

the river is a 9. check, check.

comments?

balkii
08-28-2004, 08:29 PM
When I first started reading the high-stakes forum, none of the hands made sense to me. After reading it for months, I started to understand the play in most of the hands.

I think I've come full circle now though.

imported_stealthcow
08-28-2004, 08:43 PM
excuse my confusion, as i have not been reading this forum for as long as balkii.

i understand the preflop limp, thats fine

were you waiting to make the raises on the turn, but when the board 2 paired you figured the guy had A7s ?

if he had A7 though would he go for a check raise on the river if you were to value bet? is taht why you didn't bet the river?

also, how many opponents do you want with AA in a 40/80 game. in the games i play, i try and narrow it down, so i know my opponents starting hand requirements went up and its easier to read them/ make correct plays later on. however i guess this isn't neccessary in 40/80 and you are trying to keep hands such as KQ in to make hands

nothumb
08-28-2004, 08:48 PM
You play that [censored]?

NT

Pot-A
08-28-2004, 08:52 PM
I would check behind on the river, expecting to see him turn over a 7. Normally I wouldn't expect someone to check twice with such a strong hand, but you play screams "I have a 6", so he could reasonably conclude you wouldn't check the river and thus go for the C/R.

Michael Davis
08-28-2004, 08:59 PM
I just wrote about 20 lines on how you should bet the river and then reversed myself. I still am on the fence, because a 9 hit so many of the hands he could semibluff with. Of course, he also thinks it hit some of your hands, so he could very well be going for a river checkraise.

It is a rare player who can check a 7 or 6 down twice here thinking that you will take a stab on the river. Maybe he thinks you are sitting on a 7. He's still paying you off with 88, 89, or T9. I still suck it up and bet the river because he has to show me the guts to check this twice.

I guess the problem is that if he sees you as everyone else does, he is both more likely to pay you off with a losing hand, but also more likely to check twice to induce a bluff.

-Michael

JimRivett
08-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Hello Mike,

Because you have never tested the big blind in this hand it's difficult to determine what he may have. I would have put a raise in somewhere if for no other reason it's because I have AA.

Jim

mike l.
08-29-2004, 01:41 AM
maybe this was one of those "i had a read so no one could know why i did what i did" hands. that would make sense except i had no read that i can think of. i was just going on the board and the action that went down. i honestly couldnt find a hand this guy would call w/ that he wouldnt have bet already. as it turned out he had 75o for the turned full house and i dodged both his bullets w/ my bullets.

in case any of you want to get smart and results based there was absolutely zero chance he folds that hand preflop even if i had raised.

Michael Davis
08-29-2004, 02:01 AM
"in case any of you want to get smart and results based there was absolutely zero chance he folds that hand preflop even if i had raised."

Then you clearly should have folded preflop.

-Michael