PDA

View Full Version : 98s . . help me think this one through

Kopefire
08-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey guys. . .here's a hand I won, and I think I played it ok . . . but I think I played it ok more on accident than on design .. so can someone walk through this and let me know if what I was thinking is the same as what I should be thinking about at the various decission points in the hand?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Basically, I figure that raising here is bad -- it'll scare out anyone I might have beat, but big hands will stay around anyway, so calling should get the most money in the pot. right?

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Ok. The flop hit me. Well.. it grazed me anyway. I've got a outside straight draw, so I have 8 outs. I shouldn't be counting 9s or 8s here right? yeah, they improve my hand, but I shouldn't believe they improve it to a winning hand, right?

With MP3's bet it's $3 in the blind and $.50 to call. should I raise here? I had 3 checks before the bet, if I raise maybe I take the pot down right here. But if I've already got the odds, I want more money, no? Or should i raise here to take the money now?

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Ok. We're down to 4 of us, and I get a near miss. This card kind of bothers me, someone might now have a flush draw, but it also gives me a pair. how do I count my outs here? 8 for the outside straigth + 2 for making a set? Do I add another 3 for 2 pair or not?

Does it matter? looking at the outside straight alone the pot odds are right to keep betting aren't they?

River: (6.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

I hit it. After the bet, the only things I can really fear is a K9. Suppose he came back at me here (suppose he had QQ or QJ instead of what he shows) Would I fear the K9 and fold or should I reraise or just call at that point and why?

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Thanks in advance guys!

kgrad5
08-28-2004, 05:50 PM
ok, pf is fine. the flop has given you a very strong draw, if it is checked to you its a bet for value. the problem here is your position relative to the better, i like the call and hope for overcalls in this situation, however if sb had bet i would have liked a raise for value, everytime more then 3 people call your bets/raises on the flop you are making money. the turn was fine although that 8 really counterfits your hand a bit as now anyone with a 9 has an oesd. the river was obviously fine. this hand was played well imo.

atomicbran
08-28-2004, 05:53 PM
I might try and raise the flop to try to get a free card on my oesd on the turn.

cab4656
08-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Preflop is good.

On the flop, no, you shouldn't count 8s or 9s, as those would only get you third pair, which isn't likly to hold up, especially with MP3 betting out. I think you could consider raising here in an attempt to get a free card.

On the turn, you counted your outs correctly. With players to act behind you, you can't count the 9s as outs.

On the river, don't fear K9. If he did raise you, which is very unlikely since he checked to you, 3-bet him. You can't fold in this spot.

kgrad5
08-28-2004, 05:58 PM
i dont like this play because you are forcing the other 3 players to call 2 cold and while you might get a free card on the turn, the fact that you could be heads up means its very likely you wont get paid off even if you do hit your hand