PDA

View Full Version : Is a nut straight a hand you need to "protect"...?

AdamL
08-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (8.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (14.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20.25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

How did I do? Results later.

Surfbullet
08-28-2004, 05:23 PM
looks fine to me...I might consider calling the flop and going for the c/r on the turn tho.

Surf

SnakeRat
08-28-2004, 05:27 PM
With 2 cold callers I wouldn't just call the flop, get those chips in now.

Nice hand.

ErrantNight
08-28-2004, 05:28 PM
really? with THREE players trapped in between guaranteed to call the flop bet?

no way. you've got the best hand, make 'em pay now

ErrantNight
08-28-2004, 05:29 PM
and cap the river. if the BB had two pair on this flop he's cappin' the flop or c/r you on the turn. no one made the full house.

SnakeRat
08-28-2004, 05:32 PM
I disagree most players would not 3-bet here with less than a boat. Most likely JT/J8.

People usually play low 2-pair very passively on boards like this at 2/4.

ErrantNight
08-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I think that's quite a generalization to make... and if they really are playing flopped two pair passively on the flop then they shouldn't be. are you saying that all people play two pair passively and automatically enter check-down mode straight through to the river if blanks fall? that seems really weak. if the correct way to play would be to be aggressive early, then if not on the flop at LEAST come alive on the turn to prevent someone from drawing to a better hand...

I think KJ or QJ is far more likely than JT or J8... middle pair with a draw to the nut straight seems much more consistent with the line of betting... the only hand they could put him on for the river to beat three jacks is the nut straight

Then again, it might simply be bad math to risk 2 BB here by capping, but I think he's ahead... I probably chicken out and just call the 3-bet here myself, but I think it's a little weak

SnakeRat
08-28-2004, 05:56 PM
"the only hand they could put him on for the river to beat three jacks is the nut straight" This is just plain wrong. He could also have AA/AJ/TT with his preflop action and betting all the way. .

THEY PLAY BADLY, and most of them are too passive or too aggressive. The first category is where most of them fall. Easy cap if they are in the second category, but the river 3-bet represents a VERY strong hand from a typical partier.

You aren't really risking 2BB by capping since otherwise you would call. Its more of a case if you are ahead 50.1% of the time then cap otherwise call.

AdamL
08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
BB had JTo

Thanks for the comments guys.

Adam

Alexthegreat
08-28-2004, 08:17 PM
I like the way you played it....I think the BB played it fine as well....bottom two pair on that flop isn't a great hand, and even if he was going for a check raise, all of a sudden he's facing a bet, raise and cold call of two....I would switch to call down mode for sure with bottom two pair here.....is this a weak play??

Mike Gallo
08-28-2004, 09:11 PM
You played the hand well, he just rivered you.