PDA

View Full Version : Did I lost my shirt?

08-12-2002, 12:59 AM
15-30 at the Commerce. I raise UTG+1 with AQs. all fold to BB who 3 bets. I call. Flop comes Qxx, rainbow. BB bets, I raise, BB reraises, I call. Turn blank. BB bets, I call. River blank. BB bets, I call. BB shows KK. I lose and feel terrible.

All comments welcome...flame away.

08-12-2002, 02:10 AM
"15-30 at the Commerce. I raise UTG+1 with AQs. all fold to BB who 3 bets. I call. Flop comes Qxx, rainbow. BB bets, I raise, BB reraises, I call. Turn blank. BB bets, I call. River blank. BB bets, I call. BB shows KK. I lose and feel terrible."

I do everything the same as you, except for the last two words, which I replace with "tell him nice hand, sir, and well played, too."

08-12-2002, 02:57 AM
You should only feel terrible about that hand if you knew for a fact that the only hands BB would raise you with preflop would be KK or AA. If you knew that for a fact, then you can kick yourself. Otherwise, let it go.

Best of luck. Billy (LTL)

08-12-2002, 03:20 AM
There is no value in raising the flop after getting 3-bet pre-flop by a player who is out-of position (or even if he had position on you). You should simply call it down.

This play is very similar to the way HEPFAP reccomends you play QQ after getting 3 bet pre-flop (pg. 133).

08-12-2002, 03:51 AM
Ummmm...had you raised on the, you know,...river, he would have folded....duh...

08-12-2002, 05:25 AM
I agree it's close Dynasty but I still sway to a raise on the flop..

As far as I can tell raising on the flop is about an even value bet ie given that he might have any of four possible holdings: AA, KK, QQ or AK. You can beat all but 12 combinations of the 24 possible combinations he might have.

Further, is there any chance bb would three bet a hand like JJ pre-flop? It's been known to happen.

Also I think the risk of Aquarius being reraised on the flop is balanced out by having it done here rather than on the turn or river.

08-12-2002, 06:05 AM
The problem with raising an opponet who has AK, JJ or some other pocket pair is that you encourage him to fold while he's drawing to either a 3-outer or 2-outer. You don't want him to fold. You want him to keep on putting money into the pot while drawing extremely slim. That's a key reason to just call. You aren't just trying to limit your losses against AA or KK.

Further, is there any chance bb would three bet a hand like JJ pre-flop?

Any decent player certainly would. TT too.

08-12-2002, 07:21 AM
The problem with raising an opponet who has AK, JJ...You don't want him to fold.

Point taken. Next question though, would he fold to a flop raise with those hands? Many wouldn't.

Re: Calling with JJ preflop. Any decent player certainly would. TT too.

I agree but was trying to contain bb's hands within certain parameters in order to keep the math simple.

Best of luck. Billy (LTL)

08-12-2002, 10:45 AM
i think you should either just call the whole way or raise and fold to a flop reraise if you can trust that information.

in other words i guess you have to be pretty sure theres a good chance hes on AA or KK to begin with and then decide to info raise on the flop to justify getting away from your hand once you hit top pair because you just cant bear to fold on the flop to his auto bet and also are sure that this guy isnt the type to 3 bet a lower pocket pair most of the time.

brad

08-12-2002, 11:06 AM

08-12-2002, 12:34 PM
If I raise the flop and I am reraised by the BB and he is a fairly straightforward player I might

be very inclined to give up on the turn.

Bruce

08-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Pre-flop, why would you ever 3 bet heads-up against an early position raiser out of the BB?

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me....

08-14-2002, 12:41 AM
I agree.

Even with AA, you should probably play your hand deceptively by check-raising the flop hoping to get 3-bet. Then, you checkraise the turn.