PDA

View Full Version : The Blind Ace

StellarWind
08-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

SB is moderately loose/passive, the type that bets a fair amount but rarely raises. UTG+1 is new but has already done something dumb--I forget what it was. MP3 is a LAG. Cutoff is a bit too loose to qualify as a true tight/passive.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Cutoff calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif(5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets, Cutoff calls, SB folds, Hero raises, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Cutoff calls.

Turn: (6.5 BB) 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 players)
Hero bets, ...

spamuell
08-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Why did you opt for the c/r rather than just betting out? Was it because it's easier to fold the turn if your c/r is 3-bet on the flop whereas you can't fold if your bet is raised and if someone raises the turn after your flop c/r, it's easier to get away from the hand? It seems good for these reasons.

On the other hand, are you prepared to c/r the field here? Or do you flat call and then bet out on the turn? And if the flop does get checked through, what do you do if you bet the turn and it gets raised (I'd imagine you fold in the small pot but it's possible that someone is pushing a lesser hand due to the flop check-through)?

Overall, I like the play so far, I don't think check-raising is advocated enough here, usually we just bet because they will call with worse hands.

EDIT: Rereading my post, it looks like I'm looking for a way to fold. Just to clarify, I think there is a good chance you have the best hand, I'm just trying to think about whether this gets a good amount of money in the pot when you do while making it easier to not pay someone off if you don't. And I think it achieves both pretty well.

Trix
08-28-2004, 02:51 PM
I like it. Betting the flop and getting raised by someone in LP puts me in a tough spot as it could be a freebie raise. Also CRing will protect my hand better if someone in LP bets, the lag for instance.

nothumb
08-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Looks pretty standard to me. If it's bet directly to your right, you have to just call and lead a non-heart turn, right? Sometimes I might even lead the turn if the flush comes to throw people off, since you have the redraw.

I think betting out utterly fails to protect your hand or give you any idea of where you are at, but check-raising does a good job of it when you get the opportunity... when you don't, well, that's what happens when you flop TPNK. It ain't supposed to be easy.

If I did bet out here and LAG raised I might 3-bet, since he could have almost anything and it might knock people out with lower pairs. Flush draw is going nowhere of course.

Am I missing something unclear here that's the reason you posted this? This seems like something right out of Ed's book.

NT

AceHigh
08-28-2004, 03:45 PM
I like the flop check/raise, especially with the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, getting the flop checked thru is not a disaster if a 3rd heart hits the board on the turn.

spamuell
08-28-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something unclear here that's the reason you posted this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's that a lot of people would simply bet this flop.

Garland
08-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a good line so far.

I'm guessing someone has a heart and/or straight draw, especially UTG+1 who had to call 2 cold on the flop. I wouldn't be surprised to see 89 out there or people who caught a piece. Of course A with a better kicker is a concern.

What is your plan for the river? I would check-call that with no improvement. Or check-fold if it's obvious someone made their draw.

Garland

Sent
08-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I think checking this flop to see what people do behind you is good, and check-raising a late position bettor is nice. If it gets bet, and raised before it reaches you again you can fold.

-Sent

balkii
08-28-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm guessing someone has a heart and/or straight draw, especially UTG+1 who had to call 2 cold on the flop

Garland - you absolutely can NOT go around putting people on these hands. How can you possibly see a 2 flush, straight draw board and just ASSUME that your opponent have the two best live draws? I'm would guess on average on this flop there will be MAYBE 1 flush draw, or MAYBE a straight draw, or MAYBE a gut shot draw and a backdoor flush draw.

People calling 2 bets cold on the flop does NOT signify a live draw. It could be a backdoor draw, or bottom pair. Really you cannot just assume everyone has these monster draws, even when they coldcall.

What is your plan for the river? I would check-call that with no improvement

Check-calling is a pretty awful way to play the river if you have been shown no resistance the whole way. The hands you beat that will call if you bet will likely take a free showdown if you check, but any hand that beats you will surely bet.

StellarWind
08-28-2004, 10:45 PM
All fold to the turn bet and I take the pot.

sfer
08-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Like me. I've taken to just betting this flop.