PDA

View Full Version : Can I do anything differently here?

goodfelladh
08-28-2004, 01:43 PM
OK... first hand I've ever posted. As I noted in my post concerning SSHE, I'm getting absolutely SMOKED since I've started playing again after reading it.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Maybe 3-bet? Even so, I don't think it helps me, as you'll see shortly...

Turn: (8 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

River: (21 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows 9c 9s (full house, nines full of kings).
Hero shows Tc Jd (straight, king high).
Outcome: UTG wins 28 BB. </font>

Entity
08-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Fold preflop. Otherwise, the hand looks good. Don't be results oriented, but I throw away JTo in almost all positions.

Rob

Sent
08-28-2004, 01:45 PM
I would've played it basically the same way. Getting good odds on the flop for 8 outs. 1:5.5 and you need 1:5. You hit your OESD and raised the turn. Any set had redraws to beat you on the river, and one of them hit, nothing you can do.

If you are following SSH starting charts then JTo in the CO is ok.

-Sent

goodfelladh
08-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys... like was sasid, at the moment I'm probably being too "results oriented," due in part I'm sure to be on a bit of slide. I just wanted some reassurance or opinions as to if I played the hand right, which I feel pretty good about.

Rudbaeck
08-28-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm 95% certain that calling one bet with JTo in CO with 5 callers ahead of you is plenty good +EV.

Entity
08-28-2004, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 95% certain that calling one bet with JTo in CO with 5 callers ahead of you is plenty good +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm. I'll have to rethink it. Without playing JTo (I'll play it on the Button occasionally), my VPIP is ~22%, so I feel plenty loose, but maybe there's room for adding it too. I guess JTo has just been a trouble hand for me in the past. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

Rudbaeck
08-28-2004, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. I'll have to rethink it. Without playing JTo (I'll play it on the Button occasionally), my VPIP is ~22%, so I feel plenty loose, but maybe there's room for adding it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My vp$ip is significantly lower than yours and I do play JTo in this spot. Heck I play JTo here with 3 limpers before me.

Now I feel I am missing out on an entire class of calling hands somewhere.

Entity
08-28-2004, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. I'll have to rethink it. Without playing JTo (I'll play it on the Button occasionally), my VPIP is ~22%, so I feel plenty loose, but maybe there's room for adding it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My vp$ip is significantly lower than yours and I do play JTo in this spot. Heck I play JTo here with 3 limpers before me.

Now I feel I am missing out on an entire class of calling hands somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just getting better cards. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd call J9s without thinking twice in that situation, but JTo gives me hesitation. I think it's generally a trouble hand for me, and the added potential that you get from the backdoor flush with JTs makes it so much better for me on a regular basis. Maybe I just never get it in good enough position to play it -- I've got a small sample, but I've played it 25% of the time I've gotten it (and most of that has been either the SB or BB).

I wonder what hands I'm playing that you aren't, though. I play Axs frequently, but only at loose tables or with callers in front of me. I think that's about the only abnormal hand I play a lot. Now you've got me thinking. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

Rudbaeck
08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I too play Axs with limpers in front of me or even UTG when the table is very loose. Same with small pocket pairs, I want 2-3 limpers if a tightish table, will limp UTG when the table is loose as a goose. (Like Saturday nights, for example...)

I very, very rarely play Kxs. Sure, if I am in CO or button and it's a full table limp to me I might be tempted.

I don't play any offsuit connectors under JT. I play the smaller suited connectors (98s and down) only after I have four limpers before me. Really the same with small one gappers. This might be my culprit, I am significantly tighter than Ed recommends for the smaller suited connectors, I almost always want 1-2 more limpers ahead of me than he demands. Ok, I open up a bit on weekend nights when tables turn loose.

Might be variation, my hand database is still kinda small. Passed the 25k hands mark, but with the humongous changes a good or bad day still makes I'm not believing I am anywhere even remotely near the fabled long run yet.

Entity
08-28-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I too play Axs with limpers in front of me or even UTG when the table is very loose. Same with small pocket pairs, I want 2-3 limpers if a tightish table, will limp UTG when the table is loose as a goose. (Like Saturday nights, for example...)

I very, very rarely play Kxs. Sure, if I am in CO or button and it's a full table limp to me I might be tempted.

I don't play any offsuit connectors under JT. I play the smaller suited connectors (98s and down) only after I have four limpers before me. Really the same with small one gappers. This might be my culprit, I am significantly tighter than Ed recommends for the smaller suited connectors, I almost always want 1-2 more limpers ahead of me than he demands. Ok, I open up a bit on weekend nights when tables turn loose.

Might be variation, my hand database is still kinda small. Passed the 25k hands mark, but with the humongous changes a good or bad day still makes I'm not believing I am anywhere even remotely near the fabled long run yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the closest to Kxs I'll play is K9s OTB or CO with 3+ callers. Your requirements are 4 limpers for 89s, etc., mine are 3. Other than that, we're about the same.

I'll look for chances to play JTo in the future and see if I ever want to. Maybe the situation just hasn't come up enough to make it profitable; as my HH grows maybe I'll find more times where it would be warranted.

Rob

Rudbaeck
08-28-2004, 09:04 PM
It struck me what is likely the major cause of differnce in our vp$ip, the time we play. I am a Swede, and thus play European hours most of the time. US daytime Party games can be somewhat tightish.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to three limpers for the smaller connectors. Two still feels too loose though.

Entity
08-29-2004, 02:11 AM
I need to re-read Ed's section on preflop play. I've been so focused on postflop, that I've probably neglected to play some hands, and probably play some that I shouldn't.

Rob