PDA

View Full Version : as opposed to previous post, what I LIKE about SS Holdem

whiskeytown
08-28-2004, 09:56 AM
My last post (about what I thought was wrong about SS Holdem) - produced over a thousand views on the topic - probalby a record for me...

so I'll get into a bit of what I DO like about SS Holdem.

1. - the quick and easy way of calcuating extra outs for backdoor draws (approx. 1.25 outs per 8/9 card draw and so forth) - to make it easier for me decide if my A suited draw is worth a backdoor flush draw or not.

2. easier hand breakdowns - better and easier to follow then HEFAP and LLHM

3. SOME aggressive concepts are fine and I needed them. I, for example, read somewhere that you shouldn't raise with AA or KK in BB once and have never been able to shake the idea - (the logic being you only give your hand away when you do from the BB) - I had to break that habit and seeing it in print helps.

it also has made me more resolved to play my A/10 and A/J for raises if no one's in, but on the other hand, I'm a lot more careful about AQ offsuit if someone raises under the gun. (saved myself a lot of money from that last night when a tight player raised b4 me and I decided to muck)

so there....I'm not all negative on the book....stop bitching at me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

bakku
08-28-2004, 09:58 AM
3. SOME aggressive concepts are fine and I needed them. I, for example, read somewhere that you shouldn't raise with AA or KK in BB once and have never been able to shake the idea - (the logic being you only give your hand away when you do from the BB) - I had to break that habit and seeing it in print helps.

I didn't know you were suppose to do this. Looks like I should finish reading the book before I play anymore poker.

whiskeytown
08-28-2004, 10:37 AM
no...I didn't read that in SS Holdem...let me clairify

some other time in some other book I read where they recommended you don't raise with AA or KK in the BB because you don't drive anyone out in a multiway pot and you give away the value of your hand.

Ed would probably heartily endorse raising every time till the cows come home preflop, even in the BB - so I'm doing more of that...

but he didn't advise cold calling with AA or KK in the BB - he said raise, raise, raise,

or maybe he said Ray's, Ray's, Ray's - not sure...hope it was the first option. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

pudley4
08-28-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and you give away the value of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you also raise with other hands from the blinds. Example:

Online 5/10

5 limpers, sb completes, I raise w/K /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif, all call. 7 to the flop for 14 bets.

MP says "whoa, AA huh?"

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, one fold, MP commentator raises, all fold, I call.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I checkraise and it gets capped.

River: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Bet, raise, reraise, he finally believes me and just calls.

He has 99 and calls me a moron for raising w/KT. I tell him "sorry, I thought they were suited" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif