PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice on HORSE

M50Paul
08-28-2004, 07:12 AM
I am relatively new player and have more experience with Texas Holdem vs other games in HORSE (Holdem, Omaha hi/lo, RAZZ,Stud, Stud hi/lo 8 or better). Played twice at $2-4 limit, lost $60 first time won $100 last time. I had read up a little more on the other games and think that helped but I think I was as much lucky as anyhting else. Got some decent cards scooped a couple hi/lo Omaha hands early and played very tight (maybe two tight). We play 2 rounds of HOLD'EM and one round each of the other games. The game is played 5 to a table and usually 2 are pretty experienced at each table. Here's my question. Is there a general overall strategy that you could offer? This is how I approached the games: Holdem: I played very tight didnt bluff, palyed hands as if it was like a 10 player game ( i now know that is not the best approach. I think I should have played more loose with more value to big cards vs suited connectors). The other games I was also very tight, unless I had a made hand or good 4 card draw I was out. I did tend to bluff a few times on the stud like games. If I had a powerfull board I would raise and re-raise with nothing in the hole cards. That tended to work well as I didnt bluff in holdem so I think they clearly pegged me as very tight non bluffer.

Is there one game that is the money maker? For example play loose on all go for the win on another?

Good group, friendly and not really out to take advantage of new folks but they are competative and like most dont want to loose money either. My thought is that this is more entertainment and practice and not there main game, although I am just guessing.

Any help will be appreciated

thanks

AKQJ10
08-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Hi, Paul. It's Philip from that same game. (Last Thursday was my first time.) Since I think it was the English Paul's first time there, you must be the other one right?

So i guess from now on we'll have to avoid each other's table.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, you might get some good answers at "Other Poker" or "Stud" too....

M50Paul
08-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Philip,
That is funny. Now that you have my plan what's yours? I bet they are all on line lol oh well!!!!

AKQJ10
08-28-2004, 01:06 PM
We'll just help each other take the money from the rest of the table. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was surprised that the game this past Thursday was so tight; i had expected home poker to be a lot more social but i guess everyone there wants to win as much as we do.

But yeah, 2+2 is a great resource. As you can see on that thread "Identifying 2+2ers in the jungle" i don't really understand people who think they can try to keep this site a secret. Fortunately i'm not trying to make a living from poker so i figure if my opponents are learning, it will only motivate me to improve my game.

M50Paul
08-28-2004, 01:12 PM
This is a new Hobby for me ( Gambling not just poker ) like Black Jack and other table games. I am not out to make a living or really win a lot just dont want to get killed. Most hobbies cost folks $$$ here is one that can make some or cost very little. I dont like to loose at anything I do so I tend to study and practice.