View Full Version : A Simple Hypothetical Question

fimbulwinter
08-28-2004, 06:29 AM
assume a small stakes NL cash game
You: Axs, in position
Foe: ? (no reads, new player)
he has you covered chip wise

you flop a flush draw, bet and are called

you turn the nut flush with no possible straightflush, he checks, you bet and are called.

there is now $50 in the pot.

river pairs the low card on the board, he pushes right away.
how much must you have in your stack (remember you are covered here) to fold this?
the responses i've gotten to this are quite varied and i'd like to hear what the very expereinced low stakes NL players think here.

fim

GimmeDaWatch
08-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Ive played alot of small stakes NL ring games, but to me this question seems a little silly b/c almost noone would ever play a full house like this unless they had a pittance left compared to the pot and just shoved it in fearing a check on the river. Normally, it would be more of a check-raise all-in scenario and if the stacks were huge compared to the pot, I suppose I would think about folding if the stacks were 3x the pot, but I would have to know something of the player first. It just seems like a pretty bizarre move for someone to make.

BobboFitos
08-28-2004, 11:30 AM
there is now $50 in the pot.

river pairs the low card on the board, he pushes right away.
how much must you have in your stack (remember you are covered here) to fold this?
the responses i've gotten to this are quite varied and i'd like to hear what the very expereinced low stakes NL players think here.

What are the chances he's bluffing on the river?
If he's a loose/frequent bluffer, then perhaps I'd call any bet, thinking he would bluff more than half the time making any call correct no matter how much he bets...
If he is a player you've only seen bet the nuts, then it's a quick fold.

As you said, however, you have no reads on this player. In my experience players with a set (and typically two pair, but not to the same extent) will ignore the possible flush out there and just power away; they play their cards more than what the other person could have.
And, it's possible the other player has something like a king high flush and thinks he's betting for value or so.

All in all, with 50 out there, low stakes game, unless I got a gut wrenching feeling he filled up, I call it. People make strange strange moves down in the lower stakes and often times you just have to get your money in on the river even when you're not 100% positive it's good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif