PDA

View Full Version : KK Play: Comments please.

3rdEye
08-28-2004, 04:18 AM
5-handed NL S&G with my buddies the other night, and this hand comes up. Blinds are T10/20, I have roughly T1200, and I look down at KK UTG. I make it T60 to go, CO (who has about T900) calls, everyone else folds. Flop is T 5 3 rainbow. I check, CO bets T100, I raise it to T300, and CO smooth calls. Turn is another 3. Again I check, and CO moves all in. CO is my roommate, and I've played with him a lot, so I know he's likely to make this play with something like QT (he usually thinks two pair are good, even when only one of his hole cards is paired, and he easily could have put me on a bluff with something like AK or AQ). The only hands I'm worried about here are 55 and A3, but CO usually reraises me with any Ace, as I've got a reputation for playing too tight, and I'm capable of folding to a reraise preflop (and he would've probably moved in preflop with AA, and would likely have reraised with TT). Also, I really don't think CO would push with a monster on the turn; he'd likely make that play on the river.

I obviously wasn't pot committed, and the pot, while large, wasn't enormous (although, since we all started with T1000, it was big at this stage). In retrospect, I definitely should've bet the turn; I'm more interested in what you guys think about my call at this early stage in the tournament.

**RESULTS BELOW**

CO had 33.

Jason Strasser
08-28-2004, 04:58 AM
Here's my simple answer. You went through a very good thought process with the hand, you are a thinking player. Sometimes you're going to be wrong. But as long as your read on this player is accurate enough so that you can make this call profitably in the long run, its fine.

Sure, it stinks to have to throw a ton of chips into the pot early, but if you will be ahead enough of the time, then your play is fine.

He had quads, oh well.

-Jason

Lori
08-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Here's my simple answer. You went through a very good thought process with the hand, you are a thinking player. Sometimes you're going to be wrong. But as long as your read on this player is accurate enough so that you can make this call profitably in the long run, its fine.

Sure, it stinks to have to throw a ton of chips into the pot early, but if you will be ahead enough of the time, then your play is fine.

He had quads, oh well.

-Jason

Nothing to add to this, but would like to echo it.

Lori

3rdEye
08-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Jason and Lori,

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty confident about my play, given my read and the context, and it's nice to have some affirmation that my thought process was sound.

The4thFilm
08-29-2004, 03:41 AM
Even Doyle Brunson settles for paying off quads..don't sweat it.