PDA

View Full Version : AQs....3/6....Wondering about overcalling to increase pot...best move?

RED_RAIN
08-28-2004, 03:18 AM
Table reads: Often 5-6 to the flop, they are loose/semi-passive (they bet when they have top pair, regardless of kicker). Preflop, I'm playing the same, but after, I'm changing a bit to get the most money out in the way I see best.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Here I thought if I could get one or both of the others to call, it would increase my chances at a big pot, compared to raising. I see a lot of outs, 2 overs, nut flush draw, and backdoor nut straight draw. I thought about 3 betting the flop but if I don't hit something on the turn, I don't want to bet, then get raised by the Button and have it heads up. I thought if I hit any of my stuff a check/raise on the turn would be best to build my pot.

Turn: (7.66 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 calls.

Weird with UTG+1 betting out again. I thought maybe QJ, but I needed to raise to put pressure on the Button and not get stuck being trapped in between. Also to see how UTG+1 would react.

River: (11.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Since I didn't get 3 bet on the turn, I'm thinking I'm going to value bet cause I feel I am probably ahead.

Final Pot: 13.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.66 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

Hand reads?

Chris Daddy Cool
08-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Flop is an easy raise and its not even close. Do you see why?

Rico Suave
08-28-2004, 09:23 AM
CDC:

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: 3/6 39.98% vpip = 3.29bb/100

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words: Buddy. List.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

see http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=959987&amp;page=0&amp;view=collap sed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Rico

RED_RAIN
08-28-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To either take a free card or to increase the pot so I can have better odds of drawing on the turn?

RED_RAIN
08-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Don't know what that was all about.

Dr_Freeze
08-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Red,

The flop is an easy re-raise because you can fully expect both of your opponents to call and are therefore getting 2:1 on your re-raise when you stand to win much more than 33% of the time here, with 8 definite outs, 1 out that could make someone a full house to, and 6 overcard outs that might be good.

Rico Suave
08-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Red Rain:

I was just giving CDC crap for his stellar VPiP /images/graemlins/grin.gif and his "cliche" advice. Not saying he was wrong, and I wasn't trying to be mean. If it was unfunny...oh well.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Rico

RED_RAIN
08-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Just didn't get where the stat was or who for /images/graemlins/wink.gif

RED_RAIN
08-28-2004, 08:56 PM
At a passsive table...wouldn't it be better to just call than raise.

My table is pretty passive but loose. Meaning they will call with nearly nothing for one, but will dodge when it's 2.

Mike Gallo
08-28-2004, 09:24 PM
I would have capped the flop.

I agree with the turn raise and the river bet.

UTG most likely had KJ KJ or J10. He could also have had a hand like 10 10 or 99. I give him a jack.

RED_RAIN
08-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Results below:
UTG+1 shows Js Td (one pair, jacks).
Hero shows Qd Ad (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.66 BB.

Dr_Freeze
08-29-2004, 07:54 PM
In this case, Button and UTG+1 are already in for 2 bets on the flop, I think they'd certainly call the re-raise.

To be clear, I think the best line on the flop would be to just call (as you did) with the button still to act behind you (cuz you don't want to fold him out) but then re-raise if given the opportunity (as you were) because you're not going to lose any callers once they're already in for two bets.

And because you stand to win this pot more than 1/3 of the time, you should try to get as much money in the pot as possible on the flop.

-Freeze

RED_RAIN
08-29-2004, 08:32 PM
And then kill my action on later streets?

I think people are not looking deep enough into the table read.

If I check/3 bet it's pretty much saying I have a flush draw, set, or over pocket at worse. If I check the turn, it will look very fishy, and likely only to pick one bet on the river. If I do hit it on the turn, I am likely to make 2 bets by the river. If I wait to see if I hit it on the turn, I can raise, face the button with 2 cold probably drawing dead, face the UTG+1 to call turn and if they call turn very likely the river where I am likely ahead.

If I do raise the flop, get it heads up, then take a free card on the turn, I am likely to get only one bet on the river.

The first and straight forward 90% of the time answer to this play is to raise the flop. But with this table I think calling is the way to get money into this table.