PDA

View Full Version : Couple laydowns to analyze

AlmightyJay
08-28-2004, 12:21 AM
These are two laydowns I made in a $2 + .20 SNG on Pacific just now. I'm looking to see if they were good folds, and if not, how should I have played them otherwise?

Hand #1:

15 players left in the tournament, my table has 8. I have t1800, which is third highest at the table and fourth or fifth highest overall. It's still early, blinds are $15/$30.

I'm dealt J/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG folds, UTG+1 limps in. I raise to t100. One folds, next two call, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

This concerns me a bit. The table has been fairly loose, but I'm having trouble reading some of the players, especially the button. He seems almost totally random. At first I thought he was really tight, but then I watched him limp or even raise with some really crap hands, and use minimal bets to try to steal pots, so I couldn't put him on any hand at all. He was totally random in my eyes.

5-handed flop comes 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif. Crap. We all check around to the button (who also happens to be the overall chip leader), who bets t249. SB folds, UTG+1 folds, and I think long and hard about it. I finally fold, thinking he had me beat, and not wanting to risk a lot of my chips this early in the game.

Should I have stayed in? Watching the replay, I'm starting to think I should have.

Hand #2:

Ok, there are now 13 players left, and my table's down to 7. Blinds are $25/$50. I'm dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+2. UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, and I raise to t200. Mistake? Should I have just dropped this hand immediately, or raised a bit less?

Anyway, three fold around to the BB, who calls. UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. Not good for me at all. BB checks, and UTG+1 bets t50. Now, it's tough for me to put this guy on any hand either, because he is also extremely random. He was the chip leader at one point, but he whittled it away playing some EXTREMELY marginal hands. So he's not all that tight, which means he could have a 5 or a 2. I also never watched him bet or raise more than the minimum, no matter what he held, so his bet size doesn't give anything away to me either. After letting the clock run down, I raise to t200. BB folds, and he raises all-in (t1250). It was t1100 to me, which would have almost put me all-in. I ended up folding.

Thoughts?

3rdEye
08-28-2004, 07:39 AM
I bet out the flop on the first hand. If you get called, a flush draw is likely, or maybe a weak K who's looking to call down the hand. If you're raised, I think you can throw it away easily.

The second hand is tougher. With a caller in front of me, I'd be likely to just limp in and hope for a good flop. UTG + 1 could easily have a low to middle pocket pair, or something like A5s or A2s. Hell, he could even have JJ or QQ. If I had ATo I'd probably fold to someone who calls my raise if they bet out on a 552 flop unless I had an excellent read.