PDA

View Full Version : TPTK on monochrome board

JrJordan
08-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Analyzing a few hands this weekend, this one stuck out as questionable to me so I wanted to get a few opinions.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

UTG ($23.50)
Hero ($55.90)
Button ($55.74)
SB ($149.36)
BB ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls $4, SB calls $3.50, BB folds.

Flop: ($13) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, Button calls $12, SB folds.

Turn: ($37) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $39.9 (All-In)</font>...

With the Ac out on the table for the monochrome and a significant raise PF, I expect that any callers here are on the draw instead of a made hand. As such, I want to charge them as much as possible to see that fourth club. Pot bets on the flop and turn put me all in. Is this line too aggressive with "just" TPTK? What line would you take if instead of the Ac on the board it was the Kc, making a made flush much more likely? I'll post results and my own analysis after some responses.

Wayfare
08-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Good play, I like it. Guy with naked Kc probably calls you anyway here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoBoy321
08-28-2004, 03:32 AM
I would have played this hand much more conservatively, considering the fact that if you WERE up against something like the nut flush, he isn't going to raise or bet because he's looking to get as much money out of the hand as possible, especially when he has position on you and is up against an early position raiser. I would have bet about half the pot on the flop and turn, more for information than anything else. If you were up against the flush, he would have reraised at least on the turn because he would be frustrated by the smaller bets. It is a very ballsy move to move all in with TPTK out of position against a possible flush, and without being at the table long enough to get a read on the players.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-28-2004, 06:27 AM
I hate getting all my money in with "just" TPTK, but I think you'll likely be up against a naked club here more so than a hand that beats TPTK because 2 pair needs to protect its own hand against potential flush draws.

So, either he flopped it or he didn't... it's really a judgement call from there, but probability says he probably didnt flop it, so pushing seems good.

GimmeDaWatch
08-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I think alot of people will call a raise w/suited connectors or hands like KJs and QTs. Its pretty ballsy but will probably work, unfortunately if you get called, I dont think you're looking at the naked K of clubs, you're losing your stack. This is the win small pot vs. lose big pot scenario Im not a big fan of. I would most likely take the more conservative route mentioned above.

AZK
08-28-2004, 03:01 PM
It's such a short stack structure that party encourages pushing all in with hands like TPTK...obviously he would slow down with a much deeper stack, I think the approach he took forces his opponent to either fold or make a huge mistake...which will more than make up the time that an opponent does flop a flush.

EvanJC
08-28-2004, 03:03 PM
i don't really like the push here. you are probably miles ahead at this point, but since there isnt much in the middle i think you can go a little slower. if you push and call you're almost certainly beaten, and even if he does call incorrectly with only a high club you're still going to be squirming. slow down a little bit, let him catch another club for free and then powermuck. ^_-