PDA

View Full Version : Too passive again?

DrBob
08-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Here are two more hands where I think I was too passive for small stakes.

On the first, I wasn't afraid of trip 2s, just didn't want to bet 1 overcard again. Wrong?

Reads: UTG+1 plays about 50% of hands, is passive preflop, slightly aggressive after the flop

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.20 BB

Should I bet the river on this one?

Reads: SB is very loose, passive preflop, slightly aggressive postflop. MP2 is tighter, average aggressive, and a bit tricky.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Entity
08-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Why'd you bet hand #2? The pot was small, you had two overcards where the outs weren't entirely clean (you don't really want to see the K /images/graemlins/heart.gif or T /images/graemlins/heart.gif). I don't think there's enough to gain to really be worth it.

Hand #1 looks fine, including the river check. Better hands aren't folding on a board like this. Sometimes I bet the turn to try to get them to fold, and if they don't, I usually get a free showdown. I wouldn't bet the river, but depending on how my session was going, I might bet the turn.

Rob

DrBob
08-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. In answer to your question, I bet the first hand because I've got an overcard, a gutshot, and the J may be worth something if paired too. I wasn't really afraid of a flush, since these players might well have bet a 4-flush. I figured I had 3+4+1.5 = 8.5 outs, with nobody showing strength, agreed not entirely clean. So I bet to protect those outs. Also, it might buy me a free draw to the gutshot on the turn. That's my thinking, anyway.

Entity
08-27-2004, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice. In answer to your question, I bet the first hand because I've got an overcard, a gutshot, and the J may be worth something if paired too. I wasn't really afraid of a flush, since these players might well have bet a 4-flush. I figured I had 3+4+1.5 = 8.5 outs, with nobody showing strength, agreed not entirely clean. So I bet to protect those outs. Also, it might buy me a free draw to the gutshot on the turn. That's my thinking, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your thinking on hand #1 is fine; I don't disagree with any part of that hand, but the turn check is debatable head's up -- I would go either way with betting/checking the turn.

I don't really know that you're betting to "protect" your outs, though, as you're giving anyone who calls 9.5:1, so it doesn't really "clean up" any outs. You may well be betting with the best hand (betting for value), though. Hard to say. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

DrBob
08-27-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know that you're betting to "protect" your outs, though, as you're giving anyone who calls 9.5:1, so it doesn't really "clean up" any outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I wasn't thinking about the odds I'd be giving, just wanting to push money in to drive them out. Thanks.

bisonbison
08-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Hand 1: HU I'd bet the turn and check the river. That way, if he's on a flush draw, I win more when he misses.

Hand 2: You shoud raise this preflop for value. Given that you didn't, I think I'd check the flop and see what develops.