PDA

View Full Version : top two on a scary board

Che
08-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($258.71)
<font color="C00000">MP ($441.29)</font>
CO ($120.65)
Button ($109)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($115.70)</font>
BB ($68.90)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, BB calls $6, MP calls $6, CO folds.

Turn: ($26) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $50.29</font>

MP has been at the table since I arrived about 30 minutes before this hand. He has made several pot-sized flop bets (of course /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) but has only made two pot-sized bets postflop that I remember. Both were on the river and he had the nuts both times. This is the first overbet I have seen from MP.

I’m obviously in big trouble if he has a straight or a set, but the 2x pot turn bet seems like an odd way to play such a powerful hand.

I had $107.70 left when he made the bet (and he had me covered by a mile). What should I have done?

nrinker
08-28-2004, 12:59 AM
sounds like it is time to fold. With that kind of a bet and the information on him it sounds as if he possibly hit the straight and wants the flush draws out so he can be sure of his hand if it goes to the river.

BobboFitos
08-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Turn: ($26) T (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP bets $50.29

This will sound very, very silly, but also...
He could've been trying to type in a different amount to bet, and hit bet before finishing. (Hence the 50 dollars and 29 cents?) I dont know if that means anything much.

Of course, you should probably fold, but then again, it could've been a slip of his finger... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BobboFitos
08-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Turn: ($26) T (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP bets $50.29

I forgot to mention this, as well - (I was caught up in my "relevation about odd bets") why did you check the turn? Unless the villian has specifically 67 here, which I guess is what you put him on, you should bet again. A check here allows him to take the pot with any 2.
It's more for info as well; if you bet the turn again, and THEN he raises you, you can fold. (OR if you dont believe him, call/push the rest in)
On the turn you have approximately 107? Firing 25 or so, (about the pot) mmeans you are not pot committed, as well. I dont see a reason to give up the lead, especially because you just paired your kicker. (You cant stop betting just because a scare card falls... And I dont think this is that bad of a scare card. Something like a 7 or Q is more hurtfull because JT is more likely, or a heart obviously could put the clamps down...)

PoBoy321
08-28-2004, 03:06 AM
I'd personally say that when I caught 2 pair on the turn, I would've come out with about a pot sized bet, maybe over bet the pot. That way, you're not going to leave yourself open to such a big bluffing opportunity I'm going to assume that he didn't have JQ since calling $6 in that pot to a gutshot is pretty ridiculous, but possibly the ignorant end of the straight IS out there. I'm saying that showing weakness on the turn allowed someone to play on that and bluff you out of the pot.

GimmeDaWatch
08-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Ya, obvs bet the turn. Your hand is pretty big, and that is a very weird turn bet you wouldnt have to deal with by MP had you bet.

cornell2005
08-28-2004, 11:34 AM
you cant ever check the turn here if you are folding to a big bet. the only way you can check it is if you are trying to c/r all in and KNOW he will bet. since this information probably isnt out there, just bet 2/3 pot or whatever

Che
08-29-2004, 03:14 PM
I didn't put either opponent on a set or overpair given the flop calls on a draw heavy board.

So, the only hand I was really worried about was 76 although QJ was possible. I had checked with the intention of raising unless there was a bet AND a raise, and I followed through with that line even though I was surprised by the large overbet.

Unfortunately, MP did have the ignorant end of the straight so I lost my whole stack when I didn't catch my 4-outer.

So, if I had bet the pot on the turn and been raised, would this be an easy laydown?

Thanks for all the replies,
Che

BobboFitos
08-29-2004, 03:45 PM
So, if I had bet the pot on the turn and been raised, would this be an easy laydown?

It still wouldn't be an "easy" laydown but it's one you would be able to make.