PDA

View Full Version : Two bubble hands

Gramps
08-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Two hands from the bubble in a $200 Party SNG

Hand 1:

The all-in player had recently gotten his hand caught in the cookie jar pushing T9s, so...his push doesn't necessarily mean a good hand (even when he has a bigger stack - he's the short stack now).

I'm getting 2:1 here (780 to win 1530) to call. If I call and win, I will have about 3,300 in chips (and be in the money). If I call and lose, I will be down to about 1,000 and have to pay 150 the next hand in the SB. So...I'll have some chips and 3 hands still to steal blinds, but the next shortest stacks will be 2310 and 2730.

Call or fold? If I have "pure pot odds" to call, do the "meta factors" tip it to a fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed)

UTG (t3980)
Button (t1080)
SB (t2880)
Hero (t2060)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t1080 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, Hero...?

Hand 2:

The SB in this hand had been the big stack in Hand 1, and pretty much folded his way back to the field, then lost a chunk of his chips in a blind battle against a short stack. Since he's been the short stack, he's folded every hand. He's clearly content with just finishing in the money. After posting the SB in this hand, he's got 70 chips left.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (4 handed)

SB (t370)
BB (t6570)
UTG (t2080)
Hero (t980)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, Hero...??

Push or fold? The BB getting about 5:1 to call my all-in, even if SB folds, so he's probably going to call with any two cards.

ThingDo
08-27-2004, 08:08 PM
In hand #1 I think that folding is the clear option. In hand two I don't think its nearly as clear cut. I think I'm pushing here on the button though. Even if the BB calls w/ any two and he will more than likely if he has any idea whats going on, you'll still be ahead enough times to make this worth it IMO. Please let me know what other factors you need to consider when making a decision like this.

TheDrone
08-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Hand 1: Easy fold with Q high.

Hand 2: My hunch is that you end up with greater $EV if you push here. I agree that the big stack will call with any two.

ethan
08-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Hand 1: Even if he's stealing with garbage, you're behind a lot of garbage here. I think I'd give up the blind here and try to steal it back from someone else.

Hand 2: If you push, SB's nearly guaranteed to fold knowing the BB'll call. AK's likely to win vs whatever the BB has, which if you win leaves you up around 2K and the SB with 70. If you fold, it's uncertain what SB does but there's a decent chance he doubles up. I think more good things can happen with a push than with a fold. Are the blinds going up in the next couple hands? (i.e. would your next round of blinds put you all-in in the SB even if you folded your BB?) That'd be another argument in favor of pushing.

ihaterivers
08-28-2004, 04:09 AM
First hand I easily fold to wait for a better spot and second hand I easily push. I would think with the BB's stack he wouldn't want to double you up and make you the chip leader without having a monster hand.