PDA

View Full Version : For Posters with Kids - Great learning tool

Slacker13
08-27-2004, 06:48 PM
For the past 7-8 months my daughter (7 yrs old) and I have been playing scrabble almost every day, I let her use the scrabble dictionary anytime she wants to form new words expecting it to enhance her vocabulary well, I think it has been working. We had open house at her school wed night and were told that she is one of only two students to have ever got 100% on her spelling test the first week of school. They basically fire a bunch of words, both large and small at them to see where they are at with their spelling.

Anyway, I just wanted to let the parents of the forum know that IMO scrabble is great game to play with your kids especially if you let them use the dictionary at any time.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 06:54 PM
I think this probably makes a lot of sense. Trivial Pursuit is also a good game for kids.

David Steele
08-27-2004, 11:10 PM
You might also want to try Upwords. It has similar skill to Scrabble but the board tends not to get boxed in easily and leaves many options available.

D.

M2d
08-28-2004, 12:01 AM
I learned math by playing cribbage with my parents. scrabble too, but I must have sucked, based on my current spelling prowess.

Duke
08-28-2004, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
especially if you let them use the dictionary at any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a great way to get a kid to look up words.

The funny thing is that a dictionary doesn't help much in "real" scrabble competition, since you won't even know to look for words unless you have an idea of what they are already.

~D