PDA

View Full Version : Several hands from my first $20+2

SmileyEH
08-27-2004, 06:43 PM
After getting fed up with my ability to concentrate on the $10+1's (20% ROI over 60 tourneys) I figured I was good enough to go for the $20's with my 10 buy in bankroll. Below are some hands I was wondering about.

First hand of the tourney:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
SmileyEH (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)

Preflop: SmileyEH is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t15, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SmileyEH raises to t100</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls t85, MP2 folds.

Flop: (t255) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets t700 (All-In)</font>, SmileyEH calls t700 (All-In).

Turn: (t1655) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1655) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1655

-------------------------

I was getting 5-1 from the pot here but I didn't feel at all confident playing this hand out of position with TP2K. Good?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed)

CO (t690)
Button (t1970)
SB (t920)
SmileyEH (t1580)
UTG (t905)
MP1 (t400)
MP2 (t1535)

Preflop: SmileyEH is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t100</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t75, SmileyEH folds.

Flop: (t250) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t100</font>, SB calls t100.

Turn: (t450) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks.

River: (t450) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t705 (All-In)</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t1355

-------------------------------

I'm most concerned about my flop play on this one. I checked behind scared of AK, but now that I think of it the money was probably going in anyway - best to do it myself. Which line do you prefer?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

SB (t2220)
BB (t358)
SmileyEH (t1405)
MP (t2345)
Button (t1672)

Preflop: SmileyEH is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">SmileyEH raises to t300</font>, MP folds, Button folds, SB calls t250, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t358 (All-In)</font>, SmileyEH calls t58, SB calls t58.

Flop: (t1074) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, SmileyEH checks.

Turn: (t1074) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">SmileyEH bets t500</font>, SB folds.

River: (t1574) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1574

---------------------------------------

Is the pot too big for me to fold here or should I just refuse to get into situations like this by raising more preflop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

UTG (t2637)
SmileyEH (t2121)
SB (t1845)
BB (t1397)

Preflop: SmileyEH is Button with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">SmileyEH raises to t500</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1397 (All-In)</font>, SmileyEH calls t897.

Flop: (t2894) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2894) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2894) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2894

-----------------------------------------

The SB in this hand was raising my BB almost every round and often showing steals. I felt if I was behind it wasn't by much and my intent was to get all in with any pair. Bad thinking?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed)

SB (t2284)
SmileyEH (t3226)
Button (t2490)

Preflop: SmileyEH is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t800</font>, SmileyEH calls t400.

Flop: (t1600) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t1484 (All-In)</font>, SmileyEH folds.

Final Pot: t3084

Thanks in advance, I went on to win the tourney - hopefully my 14 buy in or so roll now will be able to handle the swings.

-SmileyEH

ThingDo
08-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Hand #1. I'm not folding here. I don't see this play often enough w/ a J to be worried about it.

Hand #2 I don't like min-raises but I really don't like KQo out of position against a raise. Even though you are getting odds on your call, you are more than likely beaten in this spot and I don't want to risk all my chips on a K or even Q high flop w/ this hand. You have plenty of chips and the blinds are low, I say pass it up and move on. Maybe I'm giving up too much here?

Hand #3. I think that if you can fold to a checkraise in this spot then betting the flop is the right play. If you can't I would check behind. What you are really doing on the turn is value betting your hand here rather than on the river as there is no side pot. If he calls your bet on the turn I think you need to shut it down on the river and check behind if you don't improve. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hand #4. I muck 4's PF and don't make the intiall raise I think. That being said, after you've raised to 500 and the BB has come over the top I think you need to fold your hand. At best you'll be a coin flip and at worst you'll be dominated. If you lose the hand you'll have roughly 700 chips or so and the blind will be coming along soon.

Hand #5. I don't see how calling here could possibly be correct, unless you think that you can take pot away with a bet because you have a read on the SB. I think you need to fold this hand and move on. I could be wrong here, but I think that if you call this raise you are almost calling w/ anytwo. If you are calling w/ any two against this SB's raise when the blinds are getting large you might as well push if you think he's going to do it w/ any two cards.

I am hardly a pro, and I'm just starting to make money in the 30+3's, so take this advice with a grain of salt. Any and all comments on my thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ethan
08-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Hand 1: fine. This could be a lower pair, A9, Ax /images/graemlins/heart.gif, QT, etc. You rarely see a J played this way. (Same for a flopped straight/set/etc. Note that this is an argument for playing these hands strongly against opponents who think you'd slowplay.) I'm guessing he had a J and you got lucky anyways /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 2: Boy, this hand sure is a good argument for not calling a UTG preflop raise with KQo. What would you have done if that A was the 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif instead?

Hand 3: Bet the flop. These are the cards you wanted to see.

Hand 4: A lot of the time this will be 2 overcards. You're never going to be much of a favorite here, and sometimes a big underdog, but pot odds probably make this correct. If you call and lose, you still have enough to steal.

Hand 5: I'd actually consider a push preflop. You have a lot of folding equity here, and if you get called your cards are probably live. If you just call, he's going to push on nearly every flop and you're going to fold most of them.

SmileyEH
08-28-2004, 05:54 PM
In the first hand my opp. showed TT and I took it down.

In the second my fold turned out to be prudent as UTG had AA.

I took down the third hand with two pair against the BB's low PP.

My opp. had AKs in the 4th hand.

The SB showed his cards (J6o) in the last hand.

Thanks for the comments and advice,

-SmileyEH