PDA

View Full Version : The check-raise all-in

LinusKS
08-27-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm guessing if I have any really big leak in my game, it's got to be calling the check-raise all-in.

This happens when I have what I consider a pretty good hand, and then get raised all-in after a substantial bet at the pot.

Last night it was QQ to a 933 board, where the villain had K3. I thought I'd protected myself from the 3 with my pre-flop raise, but obviously, I hadn't.

I have two questions.

The first one is, is it worth it to play substandard cards in hopes of catching a huge - but well hidden - hand?

The second is, what percent of the time is the check-raise all-in some kind of bluff or semi-bluff?

Should you ever question your opponent's hand when he does this?

Potowame
08-27-2004, 06:00 PM
K3 NO, But if you Mini-raised his big blind, well that is going to happen.

He would more than likley play 9X or 10-10 - JJ the sameway. So its not that bad of a call. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dominic
08-27-2004, 06:44 PM
unless my bet has me pretty well pot-committed, I'm laying it down to an all-in check raise...most of the time.

Depending on my read of the player, it almost always means he's got your top pair beat...

tubbyspencer
08-31-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless my bet has me pretty well pot-committed, I'm laying it down to an all-in check raise...most of the time.

Depending on my read of the player, it almost always means he's got your top pair beat...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - but in this example the poster has better than top pair - unless you meant top trips.

I'd need to know more about how many people were left, stack sizes, etc. - but QQ is good here IMO about 70%+ of the time. Even to a check raise all in.

Gator
08-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Addressing the second part of your question - does it ever make sense to play substandard cards to catch a well hidden power hand - the advice here seems to be mixed. At the $15 level, and with position, i'll occassionally limp with a suited queen, j9 offsuit, etc if there are a number of limpers, etc. -- Don't get carried away with this and make sure you can lay down top pair weak kicker, etc. This should not be a staple of your game however. I'm a proponent of always completing the small blind at the $15 level believing the implied odds from that $5 is too big to pass up.

Eder
08-31-2004, 02:22 PM
If the villian was BB or SB I would be scared he hit the three....otherwise I call