PDA

View Full Version : A confusing (for me anyway) hand

08-09-2002, 12:50 AM
This hand confused me from start to end. I'm in the BB, my nemesis for the hand is on the Button. I've never played with him before.

I've got AcQc

There are 3 limpers to the Button. He limps. SB calls. I raise.

Everyone calls to the button. He now 3 bets.

I don't see people limp raise very often in games that I play in, especially from the button. When someone does it from early position, I usually assume AA. I didn't think that's what he had though. I couldn't see most player limping from the button after a few limpers with AA.

My first guess was he had a good multiway hand and wanted to build a big pot. JTs or QJs maybe.

Anyway, SB calls 2 cold. Should I cap it here? Maybe knock out some of the limpers, plus I think I probably have the best hand. I just called as did everyone else.

6 players see the flop for 18 SBs.

Flop: 3d 7s 6c

I decide this is one of those spots where I need to put in an extra bet or two if it can win me the pot since it has gotten so large.

I'm pretty sure everyone will check to the button, and he has to bet. So, my game plan is to check raise him and try to knock everyone else out.

Sure enough, it's checked to him. He bets, SB calls. I raise, the limpers fold. He 3 bets. SB and I call.

It still just feels like I'm ahead of him. I'm not sure what to think of SB.

Turn: [3d 7s 6c] Ad

Since I'm thoroughly confused, I decide to check. I haven't decided if I'm going to check call or check raise. It depends in part on what SB does.

To my surprise it gets checked around.

River: [3d 7s 6c Ad] 4d

SB mucks before any action. That helps. At least I know he didn’t hit some crazy gutshot draw.

I bet and Button folds.

Thoughts?

08-09-2002, 01:16 AM
"There are 3 limpers to the Button. He limps. SB calls. I raise."

-I would have too.

"I couldn't see most player limping from the button after a few limpers with AA. My first guess was he had a good multiway hand and wanted to build a big pot. JTs or QJs maybe."

-I would have put him on the same type of hand.

"Should I cap it here?"

-I wouldn't have (see below).

"I decide this is one of those spots where I need to put in an extra bet or two if it can win me the pot since it has gotten so large. I'm pretty sure everyone will check to the button, and he has to bet. So, my game plan is to check raise him and try to knock everyone else out."

-A very good plan, IMO. That's why I wouldn't have 4-bet pre-flop. Let him bet the flop and then you can check-raise to try to eliminate some competition.

"Turn: [3d 7s 6c] Ad. Since I'm thoroughly confused, I decide to check"

-I don't think you're thoroughly confused, just concerned about the sb. But he didn't bet the flop, he didn't raise, and he now checks the turn. He's probably on a draw or caught a small piece of the flop. You're ahead of him. I would have bet the Ace and make them both pay to see a river card.

I can think of arguments for both betting the river and checking, trying to induce a bluff. No way your opponent has a flush, he would have bet a 4-flush on the turn. sb folding out of turn might have induced him to try to bluff, but it also might make him think you're bluffing.

For me, the most important sentence in your post is "I decide this is one of those spots where I need to put in an extra bet or two if it can win me the pot since it has gotten so large." Excellent decision. I would have followed through on the turn.

08-09-2002, 01:34 AM
Just a side note that I don't believe there is any hand where it is correct to call on the button after three limpers, and then reraise the big blind. The only exception is if you knew the big blind or small blind raises with most of his hands.

08-09-2002, 01:40 AM
Thanks Andy, a very good response as usual.

I'm leaning towards agreeing that I should have bet the turn, but I'm not convinced yet.

I had a good feeling that he had no hand so the only way I could make more money was to have him bluff again on the turn. Of course, when he confirmed that by checking behind me I went and bet the river anyway.

I think since I checked the turn, I should have checked the river also. That may have been the only way I could have made another bet on the hand.

08-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Lets say a player limped from the cutoff after a few limpers with QJs or JTs. Then the button raises and everyone calls. Would it ever be correct to reraise here?

Or maybe more simply, is it ever correct to limp raise from late position after a few limpers?

08-09-2002, 02:53 AM
the tough part comes if your raised on the turn after you bet. since that would be a good spot for the button to make a move also...

b

08-09-2002, 03:11 AM
"Since I'm thoroughly confused, I decide to check."

Being confused is okay. Checking top (turn) pair with 2nd best kicker is not okay. Especially with two opponents.

08-09-2002, 01:26 PM
I think I would play the same pre-flop, but maybe for a slightly different reason. I would be pretty sure I have the best hand, but I would not cap it pre-flop since that would make the pot too big and greatly increase the possibility that limpers will stay in on the flop for 2 Small Bets with all sort of hands.

On the flop you must go for check raise. Get rid of the limpers increase your odds of winning.

On the turn I would bet it right out, this is one of the best cards you can hope for, he would have to raise me to convince me he is not drawing. In fact I would have bet any club that might come off.

River play would be determined by his reaction to the turn bet.

In conclusion, I would not put him on a premium hand pre-flop, rather something among the lines of 9-10 suited.