PDA

View Full Version : A SNG hand i just played..

LethalRose
08-27-2004, 03:19 PM
this is 20 + 2 at party poker. level 3, everyone is pretty much calling with anything to see a flop..when people do raise people call with crap..lots of drawing and aggressive play..
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

BB (t1805)
UTG (t355)
MP (t1145)
CO (t1490)
Hero (t1405)
SB (t1800)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls t50, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, SB calls t225, BB folds, MP folds.

Flop: (t600) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t600) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t1550 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t905 (All-In).

River: (t3305) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3305

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kh Jh (two pair, kings and jacks).
SB shows Qc Td (straight, ace high).
Outcome: SB wins t3305. </font>

A lot of you would say i made a mistake not betting on the flop..well i was afraid he has an ace (he did call a large bet) and i knew if he didnt have an ace he would probably have a straight draw...I didnt put him on the hand he had and lost..

should I have been more aggressive on the flop? or layed my hand down once he put me all in..

stupidsucker
08-27-2004, 03:35 PM
I havent looked at the results yet.

Here are a few things to think about.

KJ not a good hand. It looks great suited at first, but after a while you will figure it out.. Its bad. Its ok to limp in sometimes, I would have limped here on the button, and sometimes I just muck this preflop.

I would have bet the flop had it folded around to me. HU you deffenatly should have bet this flop.

On the turn you shouldnt be seeing 2 pair, you should be seeing OH [censored] its a four str8 board. ( I am assuming this is what got you) You should bet here, but not call all in. 2 pair is way too vulnerable.

Thinking about what your opponent has before you think about your own hand can improve your game.

Lori
08-27-2004, 03:51 PM
I think you should have either called, or possibly folded preflop, although on the button against weak/bad players I'm willing to take my shot with a call.
KJ is probably behind right now, and against idiots you don't want to be behind no matter how bad their weak ace, it's also a problem after the flop as you don't really know where you stand if you flop a pair.

On the flop you have created your own problems. If you had just called preflop, you could bet small into this and still be betting almost the pot, but now a small bet is an easy call.
I don't mind the check, i also wouldn't mind a bet.

On the turn, after you have been raised, you should muck.
There is just no point calling this bet as idiots just check raise without the hand too rarely (idiots like to bluff right there and then in general, rather than go for the CR.

A one card straight is not hard to have (I haven't read ahead yet), especially when it appears they had nothing on the flop, but they have voluntarily called.

Lori

Lori
08-27-2004, 03:52 PM
What is it with QT this week?

Lori

Jason Strasser
08-27-2004, 04:18 PM
This seems like a spot where you must bet the flop. If you are raised, fold. If you are called, check behind on the turn and figure out the river. I don't like your line here much, checking the flop is a waste, you get no information, and you wont be pot committed with a bet. This flop isnt so bad, don't be scared of an ace--your opponent doesnt need one to call you.
-Jason

LethalRose
08-28-2004, 12:12 AM
yea I definately learned a lot analyzing this hand. sometimes a card that makes you hand makes a better hand..

heres a hand i played just recently in a 10+1 8 handed, I Think i played this much better..
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

BB (t678)
UTG (t995)
UTG+1 (t1504)
MP1 (t940)
MP2 (t760)
Hero (t1740)
Button (t638)
SB (t745)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t30, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t225</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t195, SB folds.

Flop: (t510) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t510) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t510) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t453 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t963

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qc Qs (full house, queens full of sixes).
Outcome: BB wins t963. </font>

I called this bet more than ready to check/fold if i ran into a trouble flop..I also played the previous hand very aggressive to stop a straight draw...someone called with a gutshot draw and missed...I just sensed this guy was trying to trap me.

SixgunSam
08-28-2004, 12:44 AM
That's still a really loose call by you Pre-flop. You probably would have been much better off to fold it. What would you have done if a King or a Jack came on the flop and he bet? Fold? Call? Raise? KJ is a danger hand, you shouldn't value it as highly as you seem to, IMO.

LethalRose
08-28-2004, 12:56 AM
I wouldnt of called a bet with anything less than 2 pair..i know KJ is dangerous...

lastchance
08-28-2004, 01:17 AM
If you're looking for two pair or the straight, why not play 5-3?

Just don't play it in the first place unless you're in LP and can get in cheap.

LethalRose
08-28-2004, 01:35 AM
yea you're right its not very good up against other level 1 hands most people will raise with..

ihaterivers
08-28-2004, 03:47 AM
With 905 chips left I would definitely fold to the all in bet with the 4 card straight on board. You still have plenty of time left and judging from this person's preflop call you should have a few more opportunities to take his stack with something a little stronger.

stupidsucker
08-28-2004, 05:47 AM
yes KJ is a very dangerous hand.

Its ok to limp in with it from the CO or button sometimes, but I muck it most all of the time early unless there are lots of limpers in the pot already.

Have you read Aleo Magus' guide yet? If not, I recomend it highly. Do a search for it.

Michael Davis
08-28-2004, 07:06 AM
Lethal,

I think you need to tighten up a lot in the early rounds of SNGs. Even though you've already doubled your stack, you cannot ever call off 1/8 of your chips here with KJ. This hand can't stand a huge raise. AK can't stand a huge raise in the early rounds of SNGs.

The way these tournaments are structured, picking up a few chips here and there in the early rounds isn't worth the risk of being put out. This is because if you are a good SNG player you will pick up these chips in the later rounds by stealing blinds.

-Michael

patrick dicaprio
08-28-2004, 10:03 AM
with a caller of the blinds you are not going to steal and your hand is not good enough for a preflop raise here. as you say, people are calling with anything to see a flop so why raise with your hand?

on the turn all your opponent needs is a Q and you are out. there are four cards to a straight here and now you are raised all in. plus even without a straight you can be beaten by a number of A hands. this is a tough call but i would rather be the pusher than the pushee with your hand. it is easy to say now outside the heat of battle that you shoudlnt have called, and you shouldnt have. this is one of the problems with hands like KJ is that if you are in a big por you are not going to be in good shape.

Pat

LethalRose
08-29-2004, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes KJ is a very dangerous hand.

Its ok to limp in with it from the CO or button sometimes, but I muck it most all of the time early unless there are lots of limpers in the pot already.

Have you read Aleo Magus' guide yet? If not, I recomend it highly. Do a search for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i read it tonight..very good read, thanks.

if anyone has a good example of how to play KJs and would like to post it in this thread id appreciate it..

SixgunSam
08-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Don't call raises with it. Maybe limp with it on the button if there are a lot of players in the pot and hope to hit the straight or the flush. Honestly, I would be more apt to play small suited connectors than KJ because at least if you are going up against AK, KQ, AQ or AJ you have live cards and if no paint comes, you could have the best pair. You can play it shorthanded because all hands are up in value then. If I'm playing it at a full table, I am trying to steal the pot just like I would with any garbage hand.